Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Rainie Li <ra...@pinterest.com.INVALID> on 2021/03/16 18:02:34 UTC

Flink job cannot find recover path after using entropy injection for s3 file systems

Hi Flink Developers.

We enabled entropy injection for s3, here is our setting on Yarn Cluster.
s3.entropy.key: _entropy_
s3.entropy.length: 1
state.checkpoints.dir: 's3a://{bucket name}/dev/checkpoints/_entropy_'

I have two questions:
1. After enabling entropy, job's checkpoint path changed to:
*s3://{bucket name}/dev/checkpoints/_entropy_/{job_id}chk-607*
SInce we don't know which key is mapped to _entropy_
It cannot be used to relaunch flink jobs by running
*flink run -s **s3://{bucket
name}/dev/checkpoints/_entropy_/{job_id}chk-607*
If you also enabled entropy injection for s3, any suggestion how to recover
failed jobs using entropy checkpoints?

2.We added entropy settings on the Yarn cluster.
But we can only see flink jobs in version 1.11 shows the entropy checkpoint
path.
For flink jobs version 1.9, they are still using checkpoint paths without
entropy like:
*s3://{bucket name}/dev/checkpoints/{job_id}/chk-607*
Is this path equal to s3://*{bucket name}*
*/dev/checkpoints/_entropy_/{job_id}**chk-607?*
Does entropy work for v1.9? If so, why does v1.9 job show checkpoint paths
*without* entropy?

Appreciated any suggestions.
Thanks
Best regards
Rainie

Re: Flink job cannot find recover path after using entropy injection for s3 file systems

Posted by chenqin <qi...@gmail.com>.
Friendly ping, the fix for entropy marker is ready.

Re: Flink job cannot find recover path after using entropy injection for s3 file systems

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Thanks for creating this PR. I think it would be good to re-open the issue
and post your analysis there together with the proposal for the fix.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by chenqin <qi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
There is indeed a ticket which tried to fix it for 1.11. release [1, 2].
Maybe the fix is not working properly.

[2] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/11891

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by chenqin <qi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by chenqin <qi...@gmail.com>.
make it easier to read

        @Nullable
	private static EntropyInjectingFileSystem getEntropyFs(FileSystem fs) {
		LOG.warn(fs.getClass().toGenericString());
		if (fs instanceof EntropyInjectingFileSystem) {
			return (EntropyInjectingFileSystem) fs;
		} else if (fs instanceof SafetyNetWrapperFileSystem) {
			FileSystem delegate = ((SafetyNetWrapperFileSystem)
fs).getWrappedDelegate();
			return getEntropyFs(delegate);
		} else if (fs instanceof
PluginFileSystemFactory.ClassLoaderFixingFileSystem) {
			FileSystem innerFs =
((PluginFileSystemFactory.ClassLoaderFixingFileSystem) fs).getInner();
			return getEntropyFs(innerFs);
		}
		else {
			return null;
		}
	}

Re: Flink job cannot find recover path after using entropy injection for s3 file systems

Posted by chenqin <qi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Till,

Thanks for sharing pointers related to entropy injection feature on 1.11.
We did some investigation and so far it seems like an edge case handling
bug.

Testing Environment:
flink 1.11.2 release with plugins
plugins/s3-fs-hadoop/flink-s3-fs-hadoop

state.backend.rocksdb.timer-service.factory	rocksdb
state.checkpoints.dir	s3a://balabala/dev/checkpoints/_entropy_/test
state.checkpoints.num-retained	3
s3.entropy.key	_entropy_
s3.entropy.length	1

Observation: (v.s 1.9 no entropy marker)
checkpoint _metadata path point to directory with entropy marker
s3a://balabala/dev/checkpoints/_entropy_/xenon/event-stream-splitter/3bec4b7d4ac5c116649a4f579b87628e/chk-1669

Investigation:
add LOG.warn EntropyInjector#removeEntropyMarkerIfPresent build new binary
and copy dist jar to dev cluster gateway clifront lib/ folder.
rerun same job, found warning logs final EntropyInjectingFileSystem efs =
getEntropyFs(fs); return null.

adding more logs inside of getEntropyFs
found fs passed from removeEntropyMarkerIfPresent is instanceof
org.apache.flink.core.fs.PluginFileSystemFactory$ClassLoaderFixingFileSystem

so I realized there might be a bug in handling filesystem check, apply a
small fix there
patch.diff
<http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/file/t342/patch.diff>

repeat step above, run same job, seems remove entropy marker works
s3a://balabala/dev/checkpoints/xenon/event-stream-splitter/26081a69c330522e0b3f4fceb852401e/chk-27

Can we loop in someone to take a look this patch?

Chen

Re: Flink job cannot find recover path after using entropy injection for s3 file systems

Posted by Rainie Li <ra...@pinterest.com.INVALID>.
I see, thanks for the info, Till.
Appreciated for your help.

Best regards