Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> on 2024/01/07 15:28:05 UTC

[INFO] DB Report for January, 2024

Hi all, thanks for the project update notes. Below is the
report I submitted to the board. Please let me know of
any errors or missing parts.

thanks,

bryan

The mission of the Apache DB project is to create and maintain
commercial-quality, open-source, database solutions based on software licensed
to the Foundation, for distribution at no charge to the public.

The Apache DB TLP consists of the following subprojects:
 o Derby    : a relational database implemented entirely in Java.
 o JDO      : focused on building the API and the TCK for compatibility
              testing of Java Data Object implementations providing data
              persistence.
 o Torque   : an object-relational mapper for Java.

## Project Status:
Current project status: Ongoing, with moderate activity
Issues for the board: none

## Membership Data:
Apache DB was founded 2002-07-16 (21 years ago)
There are currently 48 committers and 45 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Tobias Bouschen on 2023-08-27.
- No new committers. Last addition was Max Philipp Wriedt on 2023-04-14.

## Project Activity:
The JDO project have a number of code improvements currently active.
We are investigating use of automated release artifact signing to
streamline release preparation. We have updated our automatic
CI build to test with JDK 21 while maintaining compatibility
with JDK 8 target (still seems to be the most popular deployment).

JDO is also working on improving performance of TCK tests by
taking advantage of new features in JUnit 5 that allow for
parallel execution of test cases where no changes to the datastore
are made. This includes most query tests.

JDO also continues to work on code quality issues reported by SonarCloud.

In the Torque community there was some code activity to
fix time duration handling (resolving JIRA issue TORQUE-362)
and to remedy build failures (in Jenkins job).

The Derby community achieved two milestones in this quarter:
- The Derby 10.17.1 release.
  Derby 10.17.1.0 has been built and tested on the Java SE 21
  platform, and will run only on Java SE 21 and newer Java platforms.
  Derby 10.17.1.0 cannot be used with older Java platforms.
- Derby 10.17.1.0 fixes a flaw in Derby's LDAP authentication
  logic (CVE-2022-46337). DB team thanks Arnout and the security@
  team for all their help with the resolution of CVE-2022-46337.

## Community Health:
DB project health was good in this quarter. All the project
communities were active and working toward achieving development
milestones for their communities. A new release was made. It
was all nice to see!