Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Nikolay_Miroshnichenko <ni...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/13 23:45:01 UTC

Response message: Non HTTP response message: Too many open files

Hi,
we're testing a web site under 1000 users (threads) load.
Currently our servers hold about 500 simultaneous users with great
latencies.
With more users the requests fail. But I'm not sure where the problem
is. Whether it the server declines or JMeter or JVM problem. Looking at
the error messages in responses (see below) I'd say that JVM (or rather
OS, Debian Lenny 64) meets its limits...

*****

Thread Name: NewUsers 1-664
Sample Start: 2009-10-10 22:09:31 MSD
Load time: 0
Latency: 0
Size in bytes: 1279
Sample Count: 1
Error Count: 1
Response code: Non HTTP response code: java.net.SocketException
Response message: Non HTTP response message: Too many open files

*****
	And a valid answer looks like this:

****

Thread Name: NewUsers 1-778
Sample Start: 2009-10-10 22:08:33 MSD
Load time: 58159
Latency: 58130
Size in bytes: 611787
Sample Count: 1
Error Count: 0
Response code: 200
Response message: OK

*****

Thanks.

Nikolay Miroshnichenko

Re: Response message: Non HTTP response message: Too many open files

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/10/2009, Nikolay_Miroshnichenko <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Deepak Shetty wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > It looks like your server has reached its limit . you probably need to
> > change ulimit on the server. When your requests fail you can probably
> check
> > the number of open sockets on the server (using netstat or equivalent). .
> > there are other OS related parameters related to how long the socket
> should
> > be kept open even after it is closed which affect OS behavior
> >
> > regards
> > deepak
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Nikolay_Miroshnichenko
> > <ni...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > > we're testing a web site under 1000 users (threads) load.
> > > Currently our servers hold about 500 simultaneous users with great
> > > latencies.
> > > With more users the requests fail. But I'm not sure where the problem
> is.
> > > Whether it the server declines or JMeter or JVM problem. Looking at the
> > > error messages in responses (see below) I'd say that JVM (or rather OS,
> > > Debian Lenny 64) meets its limits...
> > >
> > > *****
> > >
> > > Thread Name: NewUsers 1-664
> > > Sample Start: 2009-10-10 22:09:31 MSD
> > > Load time: 0
> > > Latency: 0
> > > Size in bytes: 1279
> > > Sample Count: 1
> > > Error Count: 1
> > > Response code: Non HTTP response code: java.net.SocketException
> > > Response message: Non HTTP response message: Too many open files

"Non HTTP" means that the error is detected by JMeter, not generated
by the server.

> > > *****
> > >       And a valid answer looks like this:
> > >
> > > ****
> > >
> > > Thread Name: NewUsers 1-778
> > > Sample Start: 2009-10-10 22:08:33 MSD
> > > Load time: 58159
> > > Latency: 58130
> > > Size in bytes: 611787
> > > Sample Count: 1
> > > Error Count: 0
> > > Response code: 200
> > > Response message: OK
> > >
> > > *****
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Nikolay Miroshnichenko

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> jmeter-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> > >

>  So it is a server problem, not a test generator.

No, it's a problem on the JMeter host - it has run out of sockets.

Either make more sockets available, or use fewer threads on that host
(and some more on another host).

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/10/2009, Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Id verify it by checking the server logs (or number of open sockets)
>  Im not sure what the jmeter error log would look like if it was the jmeter
>  that ran out of file descriptors (for the sockets)

Exactly as shown ...

>  If you cant check the server logs/dont have access to it , an easy to verify
>  is run the same test (but with only half the number of threads) on two
>  client machines i.e. run jmeter from too different machines at the same
>  time. If its a server issue then you should see the same errors.

Good advice.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nikolay_Miroshnichenko <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.