Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/12 17:41:35 UTC

Fetching large files

I'm using nutch in distributed mode.  I'm crawling large files(a bunch of
videos), and when the fetcher map job goes to merge the spill files in
order to send to the reduce I'm getting an OOM exception.  It appears to be
because the merge is attempting to merge the data from all of the fetched
files in memory.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks.

Re: Fetching large files

Posted by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com>.
I could, but it's still possible that I'd run into this problem later.

The issue is that the map job merges the output from the spill files into
one file to send to the reduce job.  When it does this, it attempts to
bring the entire output into memory before writing out to the single file.
As such, if you have more fetched content than allocated for the job heap,
you get an OutOfMemoryException.

And no, I'm not having any other problems parsing the segments.

Re: Fetching large files

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*