Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jignesh-NX01880 Kapadia <Ji...@us.michelin.com> on 2004/01/16 18:43:01 UTC

regarding version 0.20.5

Hi ,
      We are using a fop version 0.20.4 currently. and its not stable. its
really slow and as per suggested by the experienced users here 0.20.5 is latest
stable release version.

Are there any API changes from 0.20.4 to 0.20.5?
Do we have to download the new versions of xalan.jar and xerces.jar along with
this version?

 It seems when one fo the developer here replaced the fop0.20.4.jar file with
fop0.20.5 and restarted the application. It did not start and gave him some API
exception in the logs.

Thanks and Appreciate your help,
Jignesh

Re: regarding version 0.20.5

Posted by Will Gilbert <gi...@informagen.com>.
On Jan 16, 2004, at 1:39 PM, J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Jignesh-NX01880 Kapadia wrote:
>> Are there any API changes from 0.20.4 to 0.20.5?
>
> The API is compatible

I ran into a problem with the "setLogger()" method.  The argument had
changed and it could not be simply cast to the new argument type.  My
test system is running 0.20.5 and the production system is running
0.20.4.  To work around this I use reflection.  I've send a dozen
e-mail to the IT staff requesting them to upgrade FOP.

private void mySetLogger() {

Hierarchy hierarchy = Hierarchy.getDefaultHierarchy();
Formatter formatter = new PatternFormatter("[%{priority}]:
%{message}<BR>");

LogTarget target = new StreamTarget(reportSession.baos, formatter);

hierarchy.setDefaultLogTarget(target);
Logger logger = hierarchy.getLoggerFor("FORenderer");
logger.setPriority(Priority.INFO);

// Try FOP 0.20.3, if not exception will be thrown otherwise will will
return

try {

	Class fopDriverClass = Class.forName("org.apache.fop.apps.Driver");
	Class logkitLogger = Class.forName("org.apache.log.Logger");
	Method setLogerMethod  = fopDriverClass.getDeclaredMethod("setLogger",
new Class[] { logkitLogger });

	setLogerMethod.invoke(foProcessor, new Object[] { logger });

	// Return now if we were successfull
	return;

} catch (Exception e) { }

// Try FOP 0.20.5

try {

	Class fopDriverClass = Class.forName("org.apache.fop.apps.Driver");
	Class avalonLogger =
Class.forName("org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger");
	Method setLogerMethod  = fopDriverClass.getDeclaredMethod("setLogger",
new Class[] { avalonLogger });

	foProcessor.setLogger(new LogKitLogger(logger));

} catch (Exception e) { }
}

Re: regarding version 0.20.5

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jignesh-NX01880 Kapadia wrote:
> Are there any API changes from 0.20.4 to 0.20.5?

The API is compatible.

> Do we have to download the new versions of xalan.jar and xerces.jar along with
> this version?

Not necessarily. Use the versions which work for your tasks.

>  It seems when one fo the developer here replaced the fop0.20.4.jar file with
> fop0.20.5 and restarted the application. It did not start and gave him some API
> exception in the logs.

You'll have to use the Batik jar which comes with the FOP
distribution.

J.Pietschmann

RE: regarding version 0.20.5

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

<snip />
> Are there any API changes from 0.20.4 to 0.20.5?

I'll leave this one to someone who is more familiar with 0.20.4, but...

> Do we have to download the new versions of xalan.jar and
> xerces.jar along with
> this version?

... the versions included with the distribution should be used.

>  It seems when one fo the developer here replaced the
> fop0.20.4.jar file with
> fop0.20.5 and restarted the application. It did not start and
> gave him some API
> exception in the logs.

Can you send us a few of the stack traces of these exceptions? This would be
very useful in determining where the problem is located. In any case, just
replacing the jar is not sufficient.

Cheers,

Andreas