Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it> on 2007/09/20 20:19:55 UTC

Felix Common: Licensining Questions

Hi All,

I'd like to how licensing should be handled within the Felix Common
bundle. Is there any project inside common which I can use as reference?

Also I think that some steps about licensing should added to the guide:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/Creating+Bundles+Using+BND

Ciao,
Stefano "Kismet" Lenzi

Re: Felix Common: Licensining Questions

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 21 September 2007 03:47, Richard S. Hall wrote:
> The only potential issue is if the original JAR file is distributed
> under a license that does not allow any modification, then we cannot
> provide a wrapper for it.

Well, we can always store the Jar inside a bundle Jar with the correct
manifest. I presume you refer to mostly Sun's extension jars, such as mail,
servlet and so forth.

The really tricky bits are for GPL'd stuff. ASF doesn't allow hosting of nor
distribution of GPL'd stuff from its infrastructure. And the resulting
modified OSGi bundle must be GPL'd, hence we can't have that here in Felix at
all.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Felix Common: Licensining Questions

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I think the licensing issue is pretty straightforward from my point of
view. We are only adding a manifest to the existing JAR file, thus there
are no licensing issues, the license stays the same as what it was.

The only potential issue is if the original JAR file is distributed
under a license that does not allow any modification, then we cannot
provide a wrapper for it.

Or were you getting at something else?

-> richard