Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by suraj acharya <su...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/07 16:25:29 UTC

[Discuss] Gerrit support with YETUS

Hi ,

I was thinking of working on YETUS-61. Support gerrit with YETUS.

I was thinking about it and had a few questions and was wondering if anyone
had any insight into these questions.

   1. What will the calls be to run the pre-commit. Today, with jira we
   expect passing a JIRA number or a GitHub pull request. Will the support be
   needed for pulling the gerrit information from JIRA, or will a gerrit
   review link (a number) be passed onto YETUS?
   I personally think, the number should be passed to YETUS and we can use
   some kind of a jenkins job, like the one we have for submit review.
   2. Currently the responses are written back to JIRA, with gerrit, it can
   be written to gerrit, is there any choice on which way to go with it?
   My personal vote is to put the response on gerrit, that will keep all
   reviews in one place.
   3. Are there any apache projects currently using gerrit and using some
   kind of pre-commit check which wants to utilize YETUS? This I ask for
   pointers.

Has anyone thought about this, if you have some ideas, pointers I would
appreciate it.

Thanks

-Suraj Acharya

Re: [Discuss] Gerrit support with YETUS

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.
> On May 7, 2017, at 9:25 AM, suraj acharya <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   1. What will the calls be to run the pre-commit. Today, with jira we
>   expect passing a JIRA number or a GitHub pull request. Will the support be
>   needed for pulling the gerrit information from JIRA, or will a gerrit
>   review link (a number) be passed onto YETUS?

	That's up to you and reviewers, really.  Ideally, you should support both via something similar to the jira-github bridge code.

>   I personally think, the number should be passed to YETUS and we can use
>   some kind of a jenkins job, like the one we have for submit review.

	One of the big mistakes I made with the github support was to take an unadorned number.  I *really* regret that because a raw number has no real meaning; if a project supports, eg, both github and gitlab, which system is that number coming from? (This is the reason why bugzilla uses BZ: as a prefix, BTW.)   So at least for the CLI, you really really really want to put a prefix, otherwise Bad Things(tm) happen.

>   2. Currently the responses are written back to JIRA, with gerrit, it can
>   be written to gerrit, is there any choice on which way to go with it?
>   My personal vote is to put the response on gerrit, that will keep all
>   reviews in one place.

	Response support (--bugcomments) is split out from bug ingestion support (--plugins) to some degree.  By default, test-patch will write to all enabled systems.  If that isn't what the end user wants, they can configure it using the previously mentioned CLI switch or override functions as necessary.   So this decision has been made sort of made for you. ;)

	In other words, you just need to worry about adding the necessary functions that allow test-patch to write to gerrit in the gerrit plugin and test-patch should take care of the rest.

>   3. Are there any apache projects currently using gerrit and using some
>   kind of pre-commit check which wants to utilize YETUS? This I ask for
>   pointers.

	IIRC, there is at least one project that is/was using Gerrit in the incubator.  Most of the gerrit requests I've been hit up with have been from commercial interests.