Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Yuming Wang <wg...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/28 05:20:38 UTC

[VOTE] Release Spark 3.3.1 (RC2)

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 3.3.1.

The vote is open until 11:59pm Pacific time October 3th and passes if
a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see https://spark.apache.org

The tag to be voted on is v3.3.1-rc2 (commit
1d3b8f7cb15283a1e37ecada6d751e17f30647ce):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v3.3.1-rc2

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.3.1-rc2-bin

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1421

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.3.1-rc2-docs

The list of bug fixes going into 3.3.1 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12351710

This release is using the release script of the tag v3.3.1-rc2.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================
If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.3.1?
The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.3.1 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target
Version/s" = 3.3.1

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================
In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.3.1 (RC2)

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, but -1 due to the undocumented breaking query result change.

Apache Spark 3.2.0, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 3.3.0 has the following result for
`grouping_id()` and `grouping__id`.

scala> sql("SELECT count(*), grouping__id from (VALUES (1,1,1),(2,2,2)) AS
t(k1,k2,v) GROUP BY k1 GROUPING SETS (k2) ").show()
+--------+------------+
|count(1)|grouping__id|
+--------+------------+
|       1|           1|
|       1|           1|
+--------+------------+

Only Apache Spark 3.3.1 RC has

scala> sql("SELECT count(*), grouping__id from (VALUES (1,1,1),(2,2,2)) AS
t(k1,k2,v) GROUP BY k1 GROUPING SETS (k2) ").show()
+--------+------------+
|count(1)|grouping__id|
+--------+------------+
|       1|           2|
|       1|           2|
+--------+------------+

Although it's a result of a valid fix from SPARK-40218, it would be great
if we can provide a migration guide and legacy configuration (SPARK-40562)
to avoid any production outage during a migration from 3.3.0 to 3.3.1.

Dongjoon.

Posted by Gengliang Wang <lt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
It depends on the release manager's decision in general, but historically
we skip the vote on old tags in favor of new RC tags.

I believe Yuming will decide as the 3.3.1 release manager.

Posted by Jonathan Kelly <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Kelly <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.