Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David Reta <Da...@Narus.com> on 2007/01/23 19:05:32 UTC

Some tests not being run during relay

hello,

I am looking for some help with an issue I am having. Some spam has been
getting through and it looks like when it comes through a bunch of rules
are not getting hit, but when I run it manually as the same user that my
mimedefang runs as it scores well above the threshold.

I am running on RedHat Linux 4 with
sendmail->mimedefang->spamassassin(3.1.7). I am running it manually as
the same user mimedefang uses so I don't think that is the issue. Could
it be timing out or something? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Here is an example.

Here is the MSG.0 file that gets quarantined by Mimedefang.

-bash-3.00$ more MSG.0
Spam detection software, running on the system "", has

Content preview:  Good day Davidr!!! A Genuine Univers1ty Degree 1n 4-6
  weeks! Haev you ever thought that the only thing stopping you from a
  great job and better pay was a few letters behind you name? Well now
you
  can get them! [...]

 pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
 0.5 PLING_QUERY            Subject has exclamation mark and question
mark
 0.0 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60%
                            [score: 0.4473]
 3.9 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
                            [89.137.135.243 listed in
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org]

 4.412 5 BAYES_50,PLING_QUERY,RCVD_IN_XBL

Here is the output when I run it manually.

-bash-3.00$ spamassassin < ENTIRE_MESSAGE

From: "(270) 818-7244 Reuben " <11...@itpaystolearn.com>
To: <da...@narus.com>
Subject: *****SPAM***** Need a Diploma? {}You Need a Better Degere, and
we can Help!
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:46:19 +0300

DRUGS_STOCK_MIMEOLE,FM_SCHOOLING,FM_SCHOOL_DIPLOMA,FM_SCHOOL_TYPES,
        J_CHICKENPOX_31,J_CHICKENPOX_72,MID_14DIGITS_HEX,NO_RECEIVED,
        NO_RELAYS,PLING_QUERY,SARE_SPEC_DIPLOMA autolearn=no
version=3.1.7

------------=_45B64D8A.F257228F

Spam detection software, running on the system "", has

Content preview:  Good day Davidr!!! A Genuine Univers1ty Degree 1n 4-6
  weeks! Haev you ever thought that the only thing stopping you from a
  great job and better pay was a few letters behind you name? Well now
you
  can get them! [...]

 pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
 0.5 PLING_QUERY            Subject has exclamation mark and question
mark
 2.8 MID_14DIGITS_HEX       MID_14DIGITS_HEX
 1.1 SARE_SPEC_DIPLOMA      educational spam subject
-0.0 NO_RELAYS              Informational: message was not relayed via
SMTP
 0.6 J_CHICKENPOX_72        BODY: 7alpha-pock-2alpha
 0.6 J_CHICKENPOX_31        BODY: 3alpha-pock-1alpha
 0.0 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60%
                            [score: 0.4275]
 5.6 FM_SCHOOL_TYPES        Meta Combo Phrase for Schooling
 1.2 FM_SCHOOLING           Meta Combo Phrase for Schooling (2)
 2.0 DRUGS_STOCK_MIMEOLE    Stock-spam forged headers found (5510)
-0.0 NO_RECEIVED            Informational: message has no Received
headers
 2.0 FM_SCHOOL_DIPLOMA      Meta for Schooling + Diploma.

------------=_45B64D8A.F257228F

From: "(270) 818-7244 Reuben " <11...@itpaystolearn.com>
To: <da...@narus.com>
Subject:   Need a Diploma? {}You Need a Better Degere, and we can Help!
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:46:19 +0300

Good day Davidr!!!

A Genuine Univers1ty Degree 1n 4-6 weeks!

Haev you ever thought that the only thing stopping you from a great job
and better pay was a few letters behind you name?
Well now you can get them!

BA BSc MA MSc MBA PhD

Wtihin 4-6 weeks!
No Study Required!
100% Verifiable!

These are real, genuine degrees that include Bachelosr, Masters, MBA and
Doctorate Degrees. They are fully verifiable and certified transcripts
are also available.

Just call the number below.
You?l lthank me later?

Begin Right Now! +1          (270) 818-7244
Online Now

--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**

hopes  of  ever  regaining  his  family's land-if the Parthians
didn'tremembered his fear beside the river and his conquest of fear. A
voicethumbs down. "Morituri te salutamus," he remarked, then spat.
"Doesn'tvinegar  before  that  ...  that  ... Persian with his catamite
eyes."

------------=_45B64D8A.F257228F--

This email and attachments may contain Narus, Inc. confidential material. If you are not the intended recipient, contact the sender immediately and delete all instances of this email and attachments.

Re: Some tests not being run during relay

Posted by Matthias Fuhrmann <Ma...@stud.uni-hannover.de>.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, David Reta wrote:

hI,

> I am looking for some help with an issue I am having. Some spam has been
> getting through and it looks like when it comes through a bunch of rules
> are not getting hit, but when I run it manually as the same user that my
> mimedefang runs as it scores well above the threshold.
>
> I am running on RedHat Linux 4 with
> sendmail->mimedefang->spamassassin(3.1.7). I am running it manually as
> the same user mimedefang uses so I don't think that is the issue. Could
> it be timing out or something? Any help would be appreciated.

did you run it manualy,using the same user as used by
mimedefang/spamassasin? maybe its some sort of permission mismatch.
got no help/hint using spamasasssin --lint -D?

regards,
Matthias