Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Paul Dumoulin <pa...@blip.tv> on 2009/10/05 23:04:43 UTC

Maximum Value Size

I have been working with Cassandra for a little over a week now, and
I've got a quick question.  I am trying to figure out if there is a
maximum value size that could cause performance degradation.  Is there
any reason that storing or returning a value of 20MB or so may be
problematic (key and name would still be small, just large value).  I
don't expect a high number of reads on large values.  I am using version
0.3 because the Net::Cassandra perl module on CPAN is only compatible
with that version.

Thanks.

RE: Maximum Value Size

Posted by Paul Dumoulin <pa...@blip.tv>.
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.  We will be looking for a way to use 0.4. Net::Cassandra for the most part appears to be just a thin wrapper.  We may explore using raw Thrift, but there is concern over connection persistence and how the current modules handle that.  We haven't looked into that issue deeply, but will do so in the future.  We'll probably start working with some values around 10MB soon.

Thanks Again.

You should definitely upgrade to 0.4, it might mean using raw Thrift
but we have at least one person doing that in Perl.  (Is
Net::Cassandra much more than a thin wrapper anyway?)

Cassandra isn't optimized for blob support (see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-265 for one proposal
to fix this) but 20MB should be doable.

-Jonathan

Re: Maximum Value Size