Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/04 19:22:51 UTC

[JEXL] Are users likely to implement the Script interface?

As the subject says - how likely is it that users will have
implemented the Script interface?
There are no unit test cases that do (apart from the one I added to
check for binary compat).
Don't know if this is an indication that the unit tests are incomplete
or that there is not really a use case for implementing the interface,
(other than the implementations which are already supplied.)

Any idea?

Re: [JEXL] Are users likely to implement the Script interface?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 4 December 2011 18:46, henrib <he...@apache.org> wrote:

> sebb-2-2 wrote
>>
>> Don't know if this is an indication that the unit tests are incomplete
>> or that there is not really a use case for implementing the interface,
>> (other than the implementations which are already supplied.)
>>
> I don't think anyone would implement the Script interface without deriving /
> delegating to an ExpressionImpl which is internal (by transitivity from the
> protected ASTJexlScript member); so it'b be someone trying to extend Jexl
> capabilities.
> Jexl being usually featured and used as a glue / joint, JEXL Scripts are
> usually used as classes members thus implementing Script is very unlikely.

OK, thanks.

Re: [JEXL] Are users likely to implement the Script interface?

Posted by henrib <he...@apache.org>.
sebb-2-2 wrote

> Don't know if this is an indication that the unit tests are incomplete
> or that there is not really a use case for implementing the interface,
> (other than the implementations which are already supplied.)

I don't think anyone would implement the Script interface without deriving /
delegating to an ExpressionImpl which is internal (by transitivity from the
protected ASTJexlScript member); so it'b be someone trying to extend Jexl
capabilities.
Jexl being usually featured and used as a glue / joint, JEXL Scripts are
usually used as classes members thus implementing Script is very unlikely.
I've been working on a redesign of the API for a potential V3 - a fresh and
clean API made to be stable but breaking free from the "ancient" Velocity
ties - and moved the ExpressionImpl equivalent to an internal package; I'll
commit soon in the trunk, tests ok, Checkstyle stuff remains mainly.
Cheers,
Henrib