Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by dan sutton <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/27 15:44:26 UTC

Solr Warm-up performance issues

Hi List,

We use Solr 4.0.2011.12.01.09.59.41 and have a dataset of roughly 40 GB.
Every day we produce a new dataset of 40 GB and have to switch one for
the other.

Once the index switch over has taken place, it takes roughly 30 min for Solr
to reach maximum performance. Are there any hardware or software solutions
to reduce the warm-up time ? We tried warm-up queries but it didn't change
much.

Our hardware specs is:
   * Dell Poweredge 1950
   * 2 x Quad-Core Xeon E5405 (2.00GHz)
   * 48 GB RAM
   * 2 x 146 GB SAS 3 Gb/s 15K RPM disk configured in RAID mirror

One thing that does seem to take a long time is un-inverting a set of
multivalued fields, are there any optimizations we might be able to
use here?

Thanks for your help.
Dan

RE: Solr Warm-up performance issues

Posted by Peter Velikin <pe...@velobit.com>.
Dan,

I can suggest a solution that should help. VeloBit enables you to add SSDs
to your servers as a cache (SSD will cost you $200, per server should be
enough). Then, assuming a 100MB/s read speed from your SAS disks, you can
read 50GB data into the VeloBit HyperCache cache in about 9 mins (this
happens automatically, all you need to do is add the SSD to your server and
install Velobit one time, which takes 2 minutes). Solr should run much
faster after that. The added benefit of the solution is that you would have
also boosted the steady state performance by 4x.

Let me know if you are interested in trying it out and I'll set you up to
talk with my engineers.

Best regards,

Peter Velikin
VP Online Marketing, VeloBit, Inc.
peter@velobit.com
tel. 978-263-4800
mob. 617-306-7165

VeloBit provides plug & play SSD caching software that dramatically
accelerates applications at a remarkably low cost. The software installs
seamlessly in less than 10 minutes and automatically tunes for fastest
application speed. Visit www.velobit.com for details.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Another trick is to read in the parts of the index file that you
search against: term dictionary and maybe a few others. (The Lucene
wiki describes the various files.) That is, you copy the new index to
the server and then say "cat files > /dev/null". This pre-caches the
interesting files into memory.

This leads to: how large is you JVM and how much space do you leave to
the OS? The OS is much better at managing memory against the hard disk
that Solr/JVM is. The JVM should have enough memory to run your Solr
comfortably without slowdowns, and that is the most it should get.

You might find autowarming less useful than just picking a series of
queries that warm what you want to get rolling early: sort on the
fields you want, do a series of facet queries, search for words you
get a lot, etc.

Another problem is that you might be fighting garbage collection when
switching from the old to new collection. Just shut down Solr, switch
the index directory, cat the files mentioned above, and restart.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Solr Warm-up performance issues

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.
You say warming queries didn't help? How do those look like? Make sure you
facet and sort in all of the fields that your application allow
faceting/sorting. The same with the filters. Uninversion of fields is done
only when you commit, but warming queries should help you here.
Tomás