Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/11 21:19:41 UTC

heads up when running roller from master branch

Hello Everyone,

Just a heads up in case you are building and running apache roller from
master, please rebuild your instance with the latest changes.

It contains an important dependency update
(https://github.com/apache/roller/pull/106) for log4j 2 which suffered
from a RCE security vulnerability, which was fixed in the latest version.

Apache Roller 6.0.2 (latest release) should not be affected by this
particular vulnerability since it still uses the old log4j 1 library.

best regards,

michael

Re: heads up when running roller from master branch

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
yeah roller itself did log with log4j 1, however it did pull log4j 2 too
due to the fact that struts was/is using it i just noticed.

So I retract my statement that roller 6.0.2 should not be affected by
this - the attack surface is just smaller.

i unified everything to slf4j and mapped it to log4j 2 as impl some time
ago but this is not in 6.0.2:
https://github.com/apache/roller/pull/68

HEAD on master is using slf4j -> log4j 2.15.0 which contains the fix as
previously mentioned

(i personally use a slf4j -> JFR bridge for my own blog.
https://github.com/mbien/JFRLog )

regards,
michael

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.