Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> on 2012/11/20 15:18:16 UTC

Drop support for Java 1.5

Hi,

Support for Java 1.6 will end soon and I think we should also drop
support for Java 1.5 in Struts 2. During one of the Devoxx talk there
was a question about how many of you are using Java 1.5 and almost no
one is using it. So I think it's time to go forward ;-)

WDYT?

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Drop support for Java 1.5

Posted by Umesh Awasthi <um...@gmail.com>.
+1 for moving beyond 1.5
Though 1.6 is still widely in use but for 1.5 its only if there is no other
options

Thanks
Umesh

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Support for Java 1.6 will end soon and I think we should also drop
> support for Java 1.5 in Struts 2. During one of the Devoxx talk there
> was a question about how many of you are using Java 1.5 and almost no
> one is using it. So I think it's time to go forward ;-)
>
> WDYT?
>

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

With Regards
Umesh Awasthi
http://www.travellingrants.com/

Re: Drop support for Java 1.5

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Dropping Java 1.5 seems reasonable for the 2.5 (aka 3.0) branch which is intended to introduce breaking changes. I'm not in favor to do this for any version < 2.5

René

Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> schrieb:

>Hi,
>
>Support for Java 1.6 will end soon and I think we should also drop
>support for Java 1.5 in Struts 2. During one of the Devoxx talk there
>was a question about how many of you are using Java 1.5 and almost no
>one is using it. So I think it's time to go forward ;-)
>
>WDYT?
>

>Regards
>--
>Łukasz
>+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Sent from my mobile phone

Re: Drop support for Java 1.5

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/11/20 ChadDavis <ch...@gmail.com>:
> I tried to migrate our project, a struts 2 project, to Java7  and hit
> surprising amounts of incompatibility with our open source dependencies.
>  For instance, our OSG dependencies were broken because they can't compile
> under java7 due to their use of a javac flag, gone under java7, that allows
> 1.4 code to support 1.5 features such as generics.  While this is not a
> very comprehensive antectdote, I would suggest that if something as core as
> OSGi isn't ready for 1.7, then it's a bit premature to force any
> migrations.  The OSGi container I use, Felix, did say that they would
> release java 7 compatible code any day  now . . .  but that's not happened
> yet, as far as I know.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4058661/java-compilers-target-version-jsr14-with-jdk7-8

Ok so I think the first step is to setup additional builds on Jenkins
which will run on Java 1.6 and 1.7 thus will allow us to eliminate
future problems whit migration to newest versions of Java.

Regards

Re: Drop support for Java 1.5

Posted by ChadDavis <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Drop support for Java 1.5

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
We definitely can't make 1.7 a requirement. I know plenty of places
still running 1.5 or 1.6. Such is Java.

What does dropping 1.5 support actually mean? Using @Override on
interface methods? What else?

Dave

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net> wrote:
> In a perfect world, I'd require 1.7 as well. To be more realistic on
> what we'd expect typical Struts 2.5+ to run on, I fear 1.6 will be a
> supported and required platform for at least 2-3 years from now on,
> especially regarding the fact that 1.6 is not deprecated as long as you
> are willing to pay for support.
>
> - René
>
> Am 20.11.12 15:19, schrieb Paul Benedict:
>> Keep what you have in Struts 2. Struts 3 should require 1.7
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Support for Java 1.6 will end soon and I think we should also drop
>>> support for Java 1.5 in Struts 2. During one of the Devoxx talk there
>>> was a question about how many of you are using Java 1.5 and almost no
>>> one is using it. So I think it's time to go forward ;-)
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> --
>>> Łukasz
>>> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

> René Gielen
> IT-Neering.net
> Saarstrasse 100, 52062 Aachen, Germany
> Tel: +49-(0)241-4010770
> Fax: +49-(0)241-4010771
> Cel: +49-(0)163-2844164
> http://twitter.com/rgielen

e: davelnewton@gmail.com
m: 908-380-8699
s: davelnewton_skype
t: @dave_newton
b: Bucky Bits
g: davelnewton
so: Dave Newton

Re: Drop support for Java 1.5

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.

Re: Drop support for Java 1.5

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: Drop support for Java 1.5

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
1.6 is fine if you increase the major number of the version (it might
break some things). Not sure if 2.4 is enough or if it needs to be 3.0
That said, for me personally 1.6 is fine and I do not miss 1.5 support

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de