Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Fabiano Sidler <fa...@my-mail.ch> on 2008/04/03 13:57:37 UTC

Web-based svn client

Hi folks!

I'm looking for a web-based svn client because I want to checkout (and commit)
on a computer without an installed svn. Is there anything like that?

Greetings,
Fabiano

RE: Re: Web-based svn client

Posted by John Niven <jn...@bravurasolutions.com>.

It's possible; one could develop an applet based on JavaHL.

Polarion offer a web-client with "simple write operation" (plus the
usual browse, etc):
http://www.polarion.org/index.php?page=overview&project=svnwebclient

Note that I've not used it, so have no idea whether it would suit.

Cheers
John

RE: RE: Web-based svn client

Posted by John Niven <jn...@bravurasolutions.com>.

If you're serving SVN through Apache you can use the browser as a
primitive client, but it only provides basic read operations - you can't
checkout, update, commit, etc.  It's also limited to browsing HEAD.

ViewVC (and friends) let you browse other revisions, but still don't
provide checkout, update, etc.

Polarion provides "simple write operation", and I'd imagine it'd be
fairly straightforward to create fullly-featured web client using, say,
JavaHL.

Cheers
John

Re: Web-based svn client

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 3, 2008, at 19:07, Keith Moore wrote:

>> Jeremy Whitlock wrote:
>>
>>>  I'm looking for a web-based svn client because I want to
>>> checkout (and
>>> commit)
>>>  on a computer without an installed svn. Is there anything like
>>> that?
>>
>> Not that I'm aware of.  Accessing Subversion requires a client and to
>> work around this would be painful.  Good luck.
>
> If the server is web-based wouldn't you just use a web browser as
> the client?

A web browser is not a Subversion client. A web browser can view a
repository that's served via apache2 and mod_dav_svn, but it cannot
make any changes to the repository. The OP indicated he wanted to
commit changes.

RE: Web-based svn client

Posted by Keith Moore <Ke...@securency.com.au>.

Re: Web-based svn client