Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by willcas <wc...@comaccapital.com> on 2013/01/22 17:05:48 UTC

POI Xls file parsing error

Hey All,

I have the exact same issue as trollchik, in
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.poi.user/19545  has anyone
ever reached  a workaround?

I receive an email with an xls attachment that I cant parse when it comes
straight from the sender system. If I save the attachment to my local drive
and then parse it,
everything works as expected.

the error I get is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The supplied
POIFSFileSystem does not contain a BIFF8 'Workbook' entry. Is it really an
excel file?

When the sender sends the email it includes in the body that the file format
is Format:Excel8

I can send an old email with no sensitive data if anyone wants to take a
look.

Apologies for cross posting but I'm at the end of my tether on this one.

Cheers,
Will

Re: POI Xls file parsing error

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On 22/01/13 16:05, willcas wrote:
> I have the exact same issue as trollchik, in
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.poi.user/19545  has anyone
> ever reached  a workaround?
>
> I receive an email with an xls attachment that I cant parse when it comes
> straight from the sender system. If I save the attachment to my local drive
> and then parse it,
> everything works as expected.

That sounds very odd... What email client are you using? I wonder if
it's maybe something strange that Outlook/Exchange is doing?

> I can send an old email with no sensitive data if anyone wants to take a
> look.

If you could open a new bug in bugzilla, and upload the sample file
there, that'd be great. We can then investigate from that, and possibly
use it for a unit test too!

Nick