Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/24 00:32:20 UTC

Using Lucene Check Index Tool at SolrCloud?

I want to use SolrCloud at my system. I know that there are many automated
operations at SolrCloud one of them includes version system of the
documents and so checking for consistency. When I read about documentations
I saw that there is a tool called check index tool for Lucene.

Does it meaningful to use it at SolrCloud or SolrCloud itself handles such
kind of things(maybe it is harmful to use it at SolrCloud)?

Re: Using Lucene Check Index Tool at SolrCloud?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/23/2013 4:32 PM, Furkan KAMACI wrote:
> I want to use SolrCloud at my system. I know that there are many automated
> operations at SolrCloud one of them includes version system of the
> documents and so checking for consistency. When I read about documentations
> I saw that there is a tool called check index tool for Lucene.
>
> Does it meaningful to use it at SolrCloud or SolrCloud itself handles such
> kind of things(maybe it is harmful to use it at SolrCloud)?

You can use Solr without the CheckIndex Tool, and I would bet that many
Solr users have never even heard of it.  Solr tends to find major index
corruption on its own even without closely examining the index.

Solr indexes are Lucene indexes, so if you have a Solr server that is
not actively indexing or is shut down, you can run the tool on the index
and possibly repair it ... but if the index is badly damaged, Solr will
probably not start up or work correctly anyway.

If you are running into problems that require frequent use of the
CheckIndex tool and you aren't running a development version of Solr,
then chances are very good that your hardware is bad, that you have an
invalid config, or that you are doing something that's not supported.

Thanks,
Shawn