Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Chris Hillery <ch...@hillery.land> on 2016/06/29 08:12:56 UTC

AsterixClusterProperties vs. AsterixPropertiesAccessor

Assuming for the moment that the XML data path described in my previous
email is accurate...

AsterixClusterProperties gets most of its data from a cluster.xml. However,
AsterixPropertiesAccessor gets most of its data from
asterix-configuration.xml.

These two classes keep track of some redundant information, such as the
list of NCs which are defined for the cluster. AsterixPropertiesAccessor
creates ClusterPartitions based on the set of storage directories for each
NC. However, AsterixClusterProperties uses its own list of active NCs /
partitions, at least as far I can tell it does.

I'm not sure I have a specific question here, I'm just trying to understand
what's what. My current theory is that these two classes are operating on
redundant information, but that information always happens to line up
correctly because the sources of that information have a common root
(because asterix-configuration.xml is effectively derived from
cluster.xml). If this is true, though, it's a little bit sloppy in its
current form, and potentially a serious outage with my NCService deployment
since there is no longer any asterix-configuration.xml nor cluster.xml.

Basically, if anyone has any information about what exactly
AsterixClusterProperties does, what its history is, and why it isn't part
of AsterixPropertiesAccessor, I'd love to make some time to have a chat
with that person...

Any insight appreciated!
Thanks,
Ceej