Posted to users@isis.apache.org by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com> on 2013/06/28 14:51:56 UTC

Microsoft CRM as a reference architecture (part 2)

Some complementary links for avoiding to be classified as spam.

INFRASTRUCTURE LAYER

- Workflows: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc151140.aspx

- Security Model: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb955124.aspx

- Plugins and Internal Event Service: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc151086.aspx

PRESENTATION - VIEWER LAYER

- User interface style guide (that could "inspire" Apache Isis user interface "sections"):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc150858.aspx

- Client extensions (Javascript events, etc.):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc150828.aspx

- Future user interface they will incorporate in next major version:
http://www.preact.co.uk/preact_blog/dynamics-crm-flow-interface

Main link to the MS CRM SDK:

Re: Microsoft CRM as a reference architecture (part 2)

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
OK, fair enough.  I suspected I hadn't quite understood what you were
saying.
Thx

Posted by David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 29 June 2013 21:32, David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> We separated out the "UI layer objects" from the domain layer objects via
> packaging.
> I would like to see a more enforced separation - I'm not sure how to go
> about it though.

Me neither.  I'm not sure that Isis should have anything to enforce such
separation - I think you can achieve all that you want with Maven modules.

Posted by David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz>.
I should add to this because someone will point out the seemingly obvious:

Why not call the generated restful objects API?

The RO API that is generated reflects the domain behaviour.

Generally when providing a service to a service consumer(s)
 you are doing a lot of aggregation of fine-grained domain behaviour to
coarse-grained service behaviour  on a "large" non-OO information model.

And so you would naturally gravitate to the same method
as described in my post below and end up with "UI" "objects" that do
the coarse-grained aggregation of behaviour and data
but also implement ISIS services so that "their" (coarse-grained)
RO API get's presented for the service consumer(s).

btw, in our use cases, with processing the files and staging tables, using the RO API was pointless because
the service "consumers" are in the same application and java to java is far more
efficient and you get atomic transaction behaviour as part of the bargain.

David.

________________________________
Posted by David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz>.
Hi Oscar, Dan,

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi Oscar,
This idea has come up several times before; my response has always been ...
go build it and then we can take it from there.

In terms of the recent services I've been adding into the Isis applib,
these are all "technical" / integration focused.  They all also are
pluggable; there's a default implementation, but anyone can provide an
alternative implementation.  I'm starting to think of these as part of
Isis' "SPI", rather than "API".

I see less value in the higher level domain-oriented concepts that you
describe; as David suggests, every domain is always slightly different to
the next.  The Shiro/security one is perhaps a candidate, but even then
there are going to be multiple ways to skin that particular cat.

For now, I think that github is a good enough place for these potentially
reusable components to reside.  As you know, the various extensions I've
written for Isis live here, ie the isis-wicket-* repos [1].

I've just learnt from Jeroen that we've got permission to formally open
source Estatio (the estate management app that we've been building), so
that will be appearing on github shortly too.  Not sure what the license is
yet, but most recent indications were it would almost certainly be Apache.
 There are definitely some modules in there that others might want to
borrow; with an Apache license they would be free to plunder and adapt as
they see fit.

If we start getting lots of good components, then it might make sense to
bring them together, a bit like Wicket [2] has done with its wicketstuff
companion project [3].  I don't have anything against that either.  But I
don't, for myself, think that they should be part of Isis itself.

Cheers
Dan

[1] https://github.com/danhaywood?tab=repositories
[2] http://wicket.apache.org/