Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/12 16:29:35 UTC

GSOC Idea - Accumulo Control Panel

It might be interesting to have a tool which could:

a) shut down any accumulo process on any server.
b) start any accumulo process on any server.
c) edit the various configuration files through a web interface.
d) automate restart accumulo processes, as needed, after configuration
change.
e) push accumulo code and configuration to a new server.
f) gracefully shutdown and remove a server from the cluster.

Anything else? If this sounds like a good idea, let's create a JIRA ticket
with the right tags.

Re: GSOC Idea - Accumulo Control Panel

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
Can you open a ticket and upload the patch to it?

-Eric

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andres Danter <ad...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the suggestion, David.  I'm not familiar with Yammer's metrics
libraries.  I would like to keep this project limited to Ambari and
Accumulo, but I will look at the links you included and learn more about
that library, for future consideration.

Thanks again,

Andres

Posted by David Schlosnagle <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andres Danter <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.
I hijacked ACCUMULO-136 and added some details from this email thread.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Andres,

Posted by Andres Danter <ad...@gmail.com>.
Keith,

Thanks for the tip.  I went ahead and made the change.  I'm not sure if
there are any BigTop tickets that need to be linked.  I'll do a search for
that later.

Thanks again,

Andres

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
Andres,

Posted by Andres Danter <ad...@gmail.com>.
Billie,

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
Andres,

Posted by Andres Danter <ad...@gmail.com>.
Billie,

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andres Danter <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Billie,

Posted by Andres Danter <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Andres Danter <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could the work of integrating Accumulo with Ambari be something that you
> would allow a student to tackle for GSoC?  I don't want to step on anyone's
> planned work, but such a task really interests me.  I want to tackle
> something with some meat, if you know what I mean.

That would be great.  You would need to ensure the Ambari project is receptive.

Posted by John Vines <jv...@gmail.com>.
I think that would be awesome!

Posted by Andres Danter <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I think it should be a separate ticket, because the shell integration
into the monitor was the main work for ACCUMULO-196, and the only
thing remaining for that is testing. (At least, that was my
understanding when Billie reassigned the ticket to me). If there's
more work to be done, for a,c, and f, the other ticket can link to
196, I think.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii