Posted to olio-user@incubator.apache.org by Vasileios Kontorinis <bk...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/22 10:00:16 UTC

Re: Need help in Olio setup

Sankalp hi,
With your permission I cced olio-user@incubator.apache.org. There might be
more users facing similar problems.
    I assume you are using linux. This might be different according to your
OS. I use Ubuntu 8.04.
The command `ulimit -a` will tell you have many open file are allowed in
your system. Look in the output for "open files".
(more specifically you can use `ulimit -Sn` for the soft limit and `ulimit
-Hn` for the hard. `cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max` might give you another number
if /proc is setup. You need to make sure that those are big enough)
I do not think the allowed number of open files is a server setting. I
believe it's a kernel setting. However, the server open a bunck of sockets,
which are treated as files by the OS so it's likely that you might run out
of file descriptors.
In my setup, in order to change that I added the lines
* hard nofile 403238
* soft nofile 403238
at the end of the file  /etc/security/limits.conf and then reboot.
(You can also change those setting with ulimit but I think will not stick
and if you restart you system will be lost, so I do not recommend it...)
For the file-max parameter you can play with it either by echoing the value
to /proc/sys/fs/file-max  or by modifying /etc/sysctl.conf
if you google it you will find many tutorial on how to increase the number
of open files. (e.g. http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap6sec72.html)
Oh... One more thing. I was not sure which machine in the system
(web,db,filestore) was causing the problem -- probably the web server -- so
just to be on the safe side I made the change to all of them.

Hope that helps.
Kontorinis Vasileios
Phd student, University of California San Diego
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~vkontori/
bkontorinis@gmail.com