Posted to user@commons.apache.org by E Smith <E....@bham.ac.uk> on 2003/07/14 17:11:32 UTC

Parsing jelly:http results with jelly:html

Does anyone have any examples of how to use jelly:http tags to retrieve HTML pages? I've been trying to do:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<j:jelly xmlns:j="jelly:core" xmlns:x="jelly:xml" xmlns:html="jelly:html" xmlns:http="jelly:http">

    <http:get url="http://www.bham.ac.uk" />

  <x:copyOf select="$bhamHomepage" />

</j:jelly>

But nothing's coming back from the http:get tag. I've also had problems trying to get the uri and path attributes working for http:get, and stumbled on "url" by guesswork. (I know I could use the "html" attribute of the html:parse tag, but need to use the http tags so I have access to request parameters and can do POSTs.)

I'm using Jelly 1.0-dev. Any help much appreciated. (Perhaps I should be using 1.0-beta-3?)

Thanks
Elliot Smith

Re: Parsing jelly:http results with jelly:html

Posted by Bill Keese <bi...@tech.beacon-it.co.jp>.
HTTP tags are working for me but I am saving the output to a variable.

  <http:get url="..." var="outVar"/>

Looking at the code, unfortunately, this seems to be necessary.  Note
that "outVar" is a HTTPMethod class (see
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/apidocs/org/apache/commons/httpclient/HttpMethod.html
)
with various fields, including

${outVar.responseBodyAsStream} and ${outVar.responseBodyAsString} and
${outVar.responseTime}

So, if I remember correctly, you would cal

or something like that.