Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Shmuel Wolfson <sh...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/10 13:43:43 UTC

Suggestion - file format

I have a suggestion for OpenOffice that I think will help it become more
popular.

Most users are not very computer savvy. They are afraid of
incompatibility so they stick to Word which most people have. Therefore
I think the default option when installing OpenOffic should be to save
files in MS Office formats.

You could have a dialog box asking the user to select whether they want
the default file format to be:

o Files compatible with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- recommended for users who want compatibility with Microsoft Office

o Files compatible with the open standard - recommended for advanced users

The default should be compatible with Microsoft Office so when the
average user just clicks Next, that's what they will get. I know that
there is an option to change the default format, but the average user
doesn't know that and isn't interested in having to do that step.

Shmuel

Re: Suggestion - file format

Posted by Shmuel Wolfson <sh...@gmail.com>.
I hear your point. How about having the installer (at the end of the
installation) take the user to a webpage with a video explaining how to
save files in Office formats.

I think that would help OpenOffice catch on more.

Regards,
Shmuel Wolfson
052-763-7133

Re: Suggestion - file format