Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> on 2012/05/21 21:53:40 UTC

2.3 release status and proposed road map

Re: 2.3 release status and proposed road map

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Mark,
Please start a discussion thread on the vcl-dev list regarding IPv6
support.  Others may be interested in participating, the current
status, problems encountered, etc.

Thanks,
Andy

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: 2.3 release status and proposed road map

Posted by Chris Jones <ch...@clemson.edu>.
Works for me.  You can put Clemson down for wanting IPv6. :)

-ChrisJ

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>wrote:

> Chris,
>
> We don't have any surveys or anything like that.  Things really just happen
> through discussion on this list.
>
> Josh
>
> On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:13:01 PM Chris Jones wrote:
> > It would be nice to see IPv6 included for sure.  We at Clemson are
> > definitely wanting that.
> >
> > Hopefully this wasn't mentioned before and I missed it, but is there a
> spot
> > to vote on what features are important to the community?  Like a survey
> or
> > something for interested parties?
> >
> > Thanks for the great work, guys!
> >
> > -ChrisJ
> >
> > On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Josh Thompson
> <jo...@ncsu.edu>wrote:
> > >
> > > I like the idea of prioritizing items that are preventing people from
> > > using
> > > VCL.  I'll move power management and Libcloud to 2.5.  I think Spice
> will
> > > be
> > > taken care of with the work needed for NAT.  Having Spice makes us more
> > > competitive with commercial VDI solutions.
> > >
> > > Josh

> am
> footsteps

> > > josh_thompson@ncsu.edu>

> > > about

> other

> newer

> done

> > > josh_thompson@ncsu.edu>

> candidate
> > >
> > > cut

> > > finding

> > > soon

> > > include.

> left
> > >
> > > off

> > > other

> KVM

> > > which

> > > Public

> which
> Public

> which
> Public

> > > - --
> > > - -------------------------------
> > > Josh Thompson
> > > VCL Developer
> > > North Carolina State University
> > >
> > > my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu
> > >
> > > All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
> > > are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
> > > Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
> - --
> - -------------------------------
> Josh Thompson
> VCL Developer
> North Carolina State University

--
-Chris W. Jones
-CCIT CSO Department

<< Insert standard legalize for: If this message wasn't for you, don't read
it. >>

Dilbert Funnies:
 http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-09-22/
 http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-10-02/

Re: 2.3 release status and proposed road map

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Oops, Sorry - it's already listed.
Aaron

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> I agree. Definitely need to add the automated/scripted install to the
> published roadmap.
>
> Aaron
>
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Larry Burton
> <la...@runningcedar.com> wrote:
>> I would commit to helping scripted installation into 2.4. I believe the
>> focus should be on a basic, entry-level VCL that is automatic from bare
>> metal to working system for those who are no so familiar with Linux.
>> Larry
>>

>> Josh Thompson wrote:

>>> Chris,
>>>
>>> We don't have any surveys or anything like that.  Things really just
>>> happen through discussion on this list.
>>>
>>> Josh

>>> - -- - -------------------------------
>>> Josh Thompson
>>> VCL Developer
>>> North Carolina State University
>>>
>>> my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu
>>>
>>> All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
>>> are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
>>> Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
>>>

> --
> Aaron Peeler
> Program Manager
> Virtual Computing Lab
> NC State University

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: 2.3 release status and proposed road map

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Larry Burton <la...@runningcedar.com>.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: 2.3 release status and proposed road map

Posted by Chris Jones <ch...@clemson.edu>.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

I like the idea of prioritizing items that are preventing people from using
VCL.  I'll move power management and Libcloud to 2.5.  I think Spice will be
taken care of with the work needed for NAT.  Having Spice makes us more
competitive with commercial VDI solutions.

Josh

On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:19:31 AM Andy Kurth wrote:
> I think 2.4 should include the highest-priority items which currently
> prevent some institutions/organizations from using VCL including:
> -IPv6 support
> -NAT support
> -Single network interface support
>
> Adding these makes the list for 2.4 ridiculously long.  I would
> suggest moving power management, Spice, and libcloud support to later
> releases.
>
> I think any feature can be worked on in the meantime if anyone is
> interested in doing so, but completion should not prevent 2.4 from
> being released.
>
> I would also like to plan a 2.3.1 bug fix release targeted for early
> to mid August, 2012.
>
> -Andy
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu> wrote:
> > Aaron,
> >
> > At some point I would like to put IPv6 and NAPT on the list but I am
> > still working on the code. (I would prefer to follow in the footsteps
> > of the others and have something working to back it up so maybe we
> > don't want to put it on the schedule yet.)
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> >> Looks good to me.
> >>
> >> Anyone else? This is a community decision :)
> >>
> >> Aaron

> >> --
> >> Aaron Peeler
> >> Program Manager
> >> Virtual Computing Lab
> >> NC State University
> >>
> >> All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
> >> are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
> >> Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Gardner
> > --
- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: 2.3 release status and proposed road map

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu>.
Aaron,

At some point I would like to put IPv6 and NAPT on the list but I am
still working on the code. (I would prefer to follow in the footsteps
of the others and have something working to back it up so maybe we
don't want to put it on the schedule yet.)

Mark

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Looks good to me.
>
> Anyone else? This is a community decision :)
>
> Aaron
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> That ends up making the list of feature for 2.4 pretty long.  How about
>> splitting them up into two releases as follows:
>>
>> VCL 2.3 (this release)
>>  * Service deployments
>>  * Allow for additional access methods for environments (port, other
>>    protocols, etc)
>>  * Added framework support for libvirt and specifically for KVM
>>  * Added support for OS X under ESX
>>  * Added support for VMware VCenter
>>  * Added multilingualization to frontend
>>
>> VCL 2.4
>>  * Power management
>>  * Improve additional access methods
>>  * Support for Spice remote display protocol
>>  * Scripted installation
>>  * Support for ESX OS for end users
>>  * Initial support for EC2 API and OpenStack
>>  * Initial support for Libcloud
>>
>> VCL 2.5
>>  * Improve cluster reservations
>>  * Service deployment configuration management
>>
>> VCL 2.6
>>  * develop tools for managing both system and user storage
>>
>> The list for 2.4 is a little long, but several of the items have a significant
>> amount of the work already completed (largely by newer people in the community
>> - - yay!).
>>
>> Josh
>>
>> On Monday, May 21, 2012 4:02:11 PM Aaron Peeler wrote:
>>> Looks good.
>>>
>>> I would also like to see added to 2.4:
>>> * support for ESX OS for end users - the work that Dmitri has done
>>> * initial support for EC2 api, openstack,  this could likely include
>>> the code that Cameron and Young have are working on
>>> * initial support for libcloud
>>>
>>> Aaron
>>>
>>> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>
>> wrote:
>> - --
>> - -------------------------------
>> Josh Thompson
>> VCL Developer
>> North Carolina State University
>>
>> my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu
>>
>> All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
>> are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
>> Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
>>

> --
> Aaron Peeler
> Program Manager
> Virtual Computing Lab
> NC State University

Mark Gardner

Re: 2.3 release status and proposed road map

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Looks good to me.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

That ends up making the list of feature for 2.4 pretty long.  How about
splitting them up into two releases as follows:

VCL 2.3 (this release)
  * Service deployments
  * Allow for additional access methods for environments (port, other
    protocols, etc)
  * Added framework support for libvirt and specifically for KVM
  * Added support for OS X under ESX
  * Added support for VMware VCenter
  * Added multilingualization to frontend

VCL 2.4
  * Power management
  * Improve additional access methods
  * Support for Spice remote display protocol
  * Scripted installation
  * Support for ESX OS for end users
  * Initial support for EC2 API and OpenStack
  * Initial support for Libcloud

VCL 2.5
  * Improve cluster reservations
  * Service deployment configuration management

VCL 2.6
  * develop tools for managing both system and user storage

The list for 2.4 is a little long, but several of the items have a significant
amount of the work already completed (largely by newer people in the community
- - yay!).

Josh

On Monday, May 21, 2012 4:02:11 PM Aaron Peeler wrote:
> Looks good.
>
> I would also like to see added to 2.4:
> * support for ESX OS for end users - the work that Dmitri has done
> * initial support for EC2 api, openstack,  this could likely include
> the code that Cameron and Young have are working on
> * initial support for libcloud
>
> Aaron
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>
wrote:
- --

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: 2.3 release status and proposed road map

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@cybera.ca>.
Sorry I'm getting to this thread a little late. Our priorities for 2.4
would be NAT and OpenStack support.

Everett Toews | Senior Developer
 <http://twitter.com/#%21/cybera_everett>Cybera Inc. <http://www.cybera.ca/>
@everett_toews <http://twitter.com/#!/everett_toews>