Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Hungry Snail <ce...@hotmail.com> on 2008/08/12 16:21:01 UTC

R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

hi Guys,

I have recently moved out mail server to new hardware.

It is setup exactly the same way (an identical mirror), yet I am getting the
following warnings in my spamd.log.

Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
/etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied
Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
/etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

The strange thing is, it is marking emails as spam like it should be, and if
I sa-learn a message as spam it correctly shows as having worked when i run
sa-learn --dump magic the 'nspam' number shows as having inreased.

Any ideas :)

Cheers

Re: R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
Copying thigs across doesn't always preserve permissions.
For cp command, you would need the '-p' option. Same for scp or rcp.
rsync, would be -a option.

Most likely permissions problems. Since the error message says 'Permission
denied'

Look at permissions on the files AND the directory, and parent directory and
parent directory.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
>|SECNAP Network Security
Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

Re: R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

Posted by Hungry Snail <ce...@hotmail.com>.

Michael Scheidell wrote:

>> From: Hungry Snail <ce...@hotmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:21:01 -0700 (PDT)
>> To: <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
>> Subject: R/O: tie failed: Permission denied
>>

>> hi Guys,
>>
>> I have recently moved out mail server to new hardware.
>>
>> It is setup exactly the same way (an identical mirror), yet I am getting
>> the
>> following warnings in my spamd.log.
>>
>> Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied
>> Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied
>
> Probably a permission problem :-)
>
> 'move to new hardware'. Took disk out, put in in new hardware? Or
> tarball/extrct? Scp? Rsync? Dump / reload?
> Check to make sure the userid's, password file, groups, group permissions
> are still the same.
>
> --
> Michael Scheidell, CTO
>>|SECNAP Network Security
> Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
> FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer

> This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap(r).
> For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

Thanks for the reply,

Well I installed everything on the new server and then just copied across
the mail folders, configuration files and of course the spamdb.

The permissions of the files are identical on both servers, and they are
both set to run as root (probally something to be frowned upon, but it
worked ok on the old server).

even the passwd file looks identical.

Re: R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.