Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Aliaksandr Autayeu <al...@autayeu.com> on 2011/11/07 00:47:37 UTC

POSTaggerCrossValidatorTool contribution

Dear all,

I'd like to contribute POSTaggerCrossValidatorTool. What should I do?

regards,
Aliaksandr

P.S. What is the way to become a committer? I might fix some other issues
I've noticed.

OpenNLP Git Mirror (was: POSTaggerCrossValidatorTool contribution)

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/11 1:16 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 11/7/11 1:00 PM, Aliaksandr Autayeu wrote:
>> Yes, although this is not as convenient as pull requests, this is the
>> next
>> best option. I would appreciate a git mirror for OpenNLP.
>
> The request for a git mirror is filled:
>
> I would also appreciate the usage of git instead of subversion, but as
> far as
> I know that is not possible for an ASF project. Sorry for that.

The Git Mirror is now available, and here are instructions how to work
with Git for all committers which are interested in that:
http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache

Jörn

Re: POSTaggerCrossValidatorTool contribution

Posted by Aliaksandr Autayeu <al...@autayeu.com>.
Thank you for the mirror. It is very strange, though: after cloning there
is only KEYS file and there is almost no history. 'git log' outputs three
commits from Dec 2010 from Grant Ingersoll. git-svn rebase does the usual
job, and it looks like it goes from the very beginning, which leaves me
wondering what is the difference between official git mirror and doing a
git-svn clone myself.

Anyway, now I see the tool James referred to. I missed it because I was
using 1.5.1 source and not the trunk.

I have submitted the patches about the nuisances I have noticed to JIRA.

Aliaksandr

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aliaksandr Autayeu <al...@autayeu.com>.
Yes, although this is not as convenient as pull requests, this is the next
best option. I would appreciate a git mirror for OpenNLP. Thank you!

Aliaksandr

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aliaksandr Autayeu <al...@autayeu.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/11 10:45 AM, Aliaksandr Autayeu wrote:
> I agree about discussion and let me explain. They are various
> annoying compilation and build warnings and missing Javadocs. They are
> faster to fix right away while you're at it and forget rather than
> copy\paste messages from console to mailing list and discuss. For example,
>
> [WARNING]
> \OpenNLP\1.5.1\apache-opennlp-1.5.1-incubating-src\opennlp-maxent\src\main\java\opennlp\maxent\io\ObjectGISModelReader.java:38:
> warning - @param argument "dis" is not a parameter name.
>
> and 56 other similar ones. I might be willing to fix them while I'm working
> on the project and might be willing to send a pull request or make a
> commit, but copy-pasting such things to bug tracker, making patches,
> copy-pasting emails... The barrier to entry becomes just a little to high
> for a small nuisances. It's very similar with the console tool, although
> it's a little more worthy of extra effort.

I think he was more concerned about bugs or some bigger problems you
noticed.

Help with fixing the javadoc warnings is really appreciated, and there
is no need
to discuss every single fix. We will review your patch and if something
comes up during the review we give appropriate feedback.

Please open a jira issue where you explain that javadoc warnings are
fixed, and then
provide a patch which fixes them.

Thanks,

Posted by Aliaksandr Autayeu <al...@autayeu.com>.

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/11 12:47 AM, Aliaksandr Autayeu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to contribute POSTaggerCrossValidatorTool. What should I do?
>
> regards,
> Aliaksandr
>
> P.S. What is the way to become a committer? I might fix some other issues
> I've noticed.

The usual way to become a committer is to contribute patches
and to get involved in mailing list discussion.

Is there something specific you would like to work on?

Posted by Aliaksandr Autayeu <al...@autayeu.com>.

> Also, what is wrong with our current POSTaggerCrossValidatorTool?

Everything is right with it, but strangely there is not CLI. I wrote the
one by analogy with other tools.

Aliaksandr

Re: POSTaggerCrossValidatorTool contribution

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.