Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org> on 2022/03/24 17:12:00 UTC

Planning for 3.4.0 daffodil

I am going to assign a Fix release of 3.4.0 to a number of our Daffodil
Jira tickets that are for features people have specifically asked for, and
for features that don't work but have been needed.

I would encourage others to assign 3.4.0 to the JIRA tickets they aspire to
see fixed in this next release.

We probably won't get to all of them, but at least it will give us a
smaller pool to choose from.

Keeping with our even/odd features/bugs cycle 3.4.0 is a features release.
Note that many features are unavailable due to bugs (Ex: prefixed length
has some bugs that make it too hard to use.)

My themes are:

* refactoring - to enable more backends
* prefixed length - came up many times recently, but we had to not use it
due to a number of issues.
* EXI - dense form of XML - a number of use cases cannot use Daffodil due
to vast enlargement of data by converting to XML.
* user requested features

Mike Beckerle
Apache Daffodil PMC | daffodil.apache.org
OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/standards/dfdl/dfdl
Owl Cyber Defense | www.owlcyberdefense.com