Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Singh, Baljit (GE Aviation, US)" <ba...@ge.com> on 2020/05/26 13:20:24 UTC

Re: Apache Commons Geometry Release

Gilles,
Thanks for replying. I do not know (yet) if Commons Geometry has the same issues (or even other issues), but I would rather use something being actively developed vs. something that is EOL (Commons-Math3 v3.6.1 was released 4+ years ago). At least this way, I can report/fix any bugs and get the improvements with the new releases. And yes, I'm willing to be the first test subject. __  I would love to help with more improvements, but if there is no sight for the releases and the library thus cannot be used, I can't justify spending time on it.

Commons Devs,
Adding the Commons Dev ML per Gilles's request. In the email below, I asked when the first release of Commons Geometry will be. Some context (and intro): using Commons-Math3, I write geometry algorithms for our UAV flight management product at AiRXOS (part of GE Aviation). However, I'm discovering bugs in Commons-Math3, one of which I helped fix in Commons Geometry. I would like to use Commons Geometry instead (for reasons mentioned above).

Regards,
Baljit

On 5/21/20, 9:02 PM, "Gilles Sadowski" <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello.

    > Hi Matt, Gilles,
    >
    > Any updates on when the commons-geometry release is going to be?

    The question is of general interest.  Could you please post it
    to the "dev" ML?

    > I’m finding
    > more and more issues with the package
    > org.apache.commons.math3.geometry.spherical.twod, and its causing issues
    > with our product.

    Is the code in "Commons Geometry" free of those issues?
    It would be nice to have unit tests that check those cases.

    > I would like to upgrade to something that is actively
    > being developed.

    Sure.
    So, you are user number "1" (?). ;-)

    > Looking at JIRA, it looks like the release is almost ready,
    > only 3 (minor) issues to go.

    If you can help with those...

    Thanks,
    Gilles

Posted by "Singh, Baljit (GE Aviation, US)" <ba...@ge.com>.
Matt,

Thank for you the detailed response. It looks like most of the issues are addressed or are already being addressed. I’ll try to contribute where I can to close this out. Looking forward to the beta!

Regards,
Baljit

From: Matt Juntunen <ma...@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 9:57 AM
To: "Singh, Baljit (GE Aviation, US)" <ba...@ge.com>, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>, "dev@commons.apache.org" <de...@commons.apache.org>
Subject: EXT: Re: Apache Commons Geometry Release

Hi Bajit,

My plan is to get a release of commons-geometry out as soon as possible, although I have been saying this for more than a year at this point:-) However, I actually believe we are very close now. There are only a few remaining issues for the beta1 release and I currently have branches ready to merge for most of them. The following issues are ready and waiting for merge:
-GEOMETRY-94: This adds Triangle3D and ConvexPolygon3D types, which are essentially required for working with 3D models. I have a PR in [1] and am just waiting another day or so to see if anyone has any feedback.
-GEOMETRY-77: Adds useful Bounds2D and Bounds3D classes. This is included in the PR mentioned above.
-GEOMETRY-97: Changes from using the term "barycenter" to "centroid" for describing the geometric center of objects. This is ready and waiting in the wings for when the PR above is merged.

The following issues are not complete:
-GEOMETRY-50: Bug report submitted by you quite a while ago regarding overflow in norm calculations. This is a tiny change in the code and I think we can just go ahead and do it. However, I did find one small issue that I'd like to discuss more that I put in the comments there yesterday.
-GEOMETRY-95: This is a request from Gilles to add a tutorial or more detailed step-by-step user guide on how to use the library to perform constructive solid geometry operations. We are currently discussing exactly what this means in the comments on the issue.  There would be some minor development work needed on this but it will most likely be in one of the examples modules and not in the main library. The main thing I can think of that we'd need would be a 3D model file reader for some format. I'm picturing using the obj format since we already have a writer for that.

These are the only remaining issues I see for the beta1 release, so things are very close. I would also like to use this library in my day job, so the sooner we can get it out the better.

Regards,
Matt J

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-geometry/pull/77

________________________________
Thanks for replying. I do not know (yet) if Commons Geometry has the same issues (or even other issues), but I would rather use something being actively developed vs. something that is EOL (Commons-Math3 v3.6.1 was released 4+ years ago). At least this way, I can report/fix any bugs and get the improvements with the new releases. And yes, I'm willing to be the first test subject. __  I would love to help with more improvements, but if there is no sight for the releases and the library thus cannot be used, I can't justify spending time on it.

Commons Devs,
Adding the Commons Dev ML per Gilles's request. In the email below, I asked when the first release of Commons Geometry will be. Some context (and intro): using Commons-Math3, I write geometry algorithms for our UAV flight management product at AiRXOS (part of GE Aviation). However, I'm discovering bugs in Commons-Math3, one of which I helped fix in Commons Geometry. I would like to use Commons Geometry instead (for reasons mentioned above).

Regards,
Baljit

On 5/21/20, 9:02 PM, "Gilles Sadowski" <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello.

    > Hi Matt, Gilles,
    >
    > Any updates on when the commons-geometry release is going to be?

    The question is of general interest.  Could you please post it
    to the "dev" ML?

    > I’m finding
    > more and more issues with the package
    > org.apache.commons.math3.geometry.spherical.twod, and its causing issues
    > with our product.

    Is the code in "Commons Geometry" free of those issues?
    It would be nice to have unit tests that check those cases.

    > I would like to upgrade to something that is actively
    > being developed.

    Sure.
    So, you are user number "1" (?). ;-)

    > Looking at JIRA, it looks like the release is almost ready,
    > only 3 (minor) issues to go.

    If you can help with those...

    Thanks,
    Gilles

Posted by Matt Juntunen <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Alrighty! I will replace that model, save my tutorial changes for later, and see if I can start on a release later tonight.

-Matt
________________________________
Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Le mar. 30 juin 2020 à 18:29, Matt Juntunen <ma...@apache.org> a écrit :

> Hi Baljit,
>
> The only things keeping the release from happening at this time are
>
>   1.  the legal issue of including a 3D model which I opened a ticket for in JIRA yesterday [1], and

It doesn't look like this site
    https://s2018.siggraph.org/3d-model-portal/
tries hard to prevent use of their (?) data. ;-)

>   2.  the tutorial requested in GEOMETRY-95.
>
> The first issue I can solve easily by just not including that model and just using one that I make myself. It won't be as good but it would work. As for the second issue, I'm working on the tutorial right now and hope to be done within the next week or so. However, I wouldn't have a problem releasing beta1 without it, assuming that Gilles and others are on board with that.
>
> Gilles, WDYT?

It would be great to release "beta1"; the mentioned items can
of course be added later.

Best,
Gilles

>>> [...]

Re: Apache Commons Geometry Release

Posted by Matt Juntunen <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Baljit,

The only things keeping the release from happening at this time are

  1.  the legal issue of including a 3D model which I opened a ticket for in JIRA yesterday [1], and
  2.  the tutorial requested in GEOMETRY-95.

The first issue I can solve easily by just not including that model and just using one that I make myself. It won't be as good but it would work. As for the second issue, I'm working on the tutorial right now and hope to be done within the next week or so. However, I wouldn't have a problem releasing beta1 without it, assuming that Gilles and others are on board with that.

Gilles, WDYT?

Regards,
Matt

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LEGAL/issues/LEGAL-525
________________________________
Can someone release the beta? I can migrate our test environment, and report back if any new or known Math3 issues are still present.

Regards,
Baljit

Thanks for replying. I do not know (yet) if Commons Geometry has the same issues (or even other issues), but I would rather use something being actively developed vs. something that is EOL (Commons-Math3 v3.6.1 was released 4+ years ago). At least this way, I can report/fix any bugs and get the improvements with the new releases. And yes, I'm willing to be the first test subject. __  I would love to help with more improvements, but if there is no sight for the releases and the library thus cannot be used, I can't justify spending time on it.

Commons Devs,
Adding the Commons Dev ML per Gilles's request. In the email below, I asked when the first release of Commons Geometry will be. Some context (and intro): using Commons-Math3, I write geometry algorithms for our UAV flight management product at AiRXOS (part of GE Aviation). However, I'm discovering bugs in Commons-Math3, one of which I helped fix in Commons Geometry. I would like to use Commons Geometry instead (for reasons mentioned above).

Regards,
Baljit

On 5/21/20, 9:02 PM, "Gilles Sadowski" <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello.

    > Hi Matt, Gilles,
    >
    > Any updates on when the commons-geometry release is going to be?

    The question is of general interest.  Could you please post it
    to the "dev" ML?

    > I’m finding
    > more and more issues with the package
    > org.apache.commons.math3.geometry.spherical.twod, and its causing issues
    > with our product.

    Is the code in "Commons Geometry" free of those issues?
    It would be nice to have unit tests that check those cases.

    > I would like to upgrade to something that is actively
    > being developed.

    Sure.
    So, you are user number "1" (?). ;-)

    > Looking at JIRA, it looks like the release is almost ready,
    > only 3 (minor) issues to go.

    If you can help with those...

    Thanks,
    Gilles

Posted by "Singh, Baljit (GE Aviation, US)" <ba...@ge.com>.
Matt,

Can someone release the beta? I can migrate our test environment, and report back if any new or known Math3 issues are still present.

Regards,
Baljit

Thanks for replying. I do not know (yet) if Commons Geometry has the same issues (or even other issues), but I would rather use something being actively developed vs. something that is EOL (Commons-Math3 v3.6.1 was released 4+ years ago). At least this way, I can report/fix any bugs and get the improvements with the new releases. And yes, I'm willing to be the first test subject. __  I would love to help with more improvements, but if there is no sight for the releases and the library thus cannot be used, I can't justify spending time on it.

Commons Devs,
Adding the Commons Dev ML per Gilles's request. In the email below, I asked when the first release of Commons Geometry will be. Some context (and intro): using Commons-Math3, I write geometry algorithms for our UAV flight management product at AiRXOS (part of GE Aviation). However, I'm discovering bugs in Commons-Math3, one of which I helped fix in Commons Geometry. I would like to use Commons Geometry instead (for reasons mentioned above).

Regards,
Baljit

On 5/21/20, 9:02 PM, "Gilles Sadowski" <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello.

    > Hi Matt, Gilles,
    >
    > Any updates on when the commons-geometry release is going to be?

    The question is of general interest.  Could you please post it
    to the "dev" ML?

    > I’m finding
    > more and more issues with the package
    > org.apache.commons.math3.geometry.spherical.twod, and its causing issues
    > with our product.

    Is the code in "Commons Geometry" free of those issues?
    It would be nice to have unit tests that check those cases.

    > I would like to upgrade to something that is actively
    > being developed.

    Sure.
    So, you are user number "1" (?). ;-)

    > Looking at JIRA, it looks like the release is almost ready,
    > only 3 (minor) issues to go.

    If you can help with those...

    Thanks,
    Gilles

    > Regards,
    > Baljit

Re: Apache Commons Geometry Release

Thanks for replying. I do not know (yet) if Commons Geometry has the same issues (or even other issues), but I would rather use something being actively developed vs. something that is EOL (Commons-Math3 v3.6.1 was released 4+ years ago). At least this way, I can report/fix any bugs and get the improvements with the new releases. And yes, I'm willing to be the first test subject. __  I would love to help with more improvements, but if there is no sight for the releases and the library thus cannot be used, I can't justify spending time on it.

Commons Devs,
Adding the Commons Dev ML per Gilles's request. In the email below, I asked when the first release of Commons Geometry will be. Some context (and intro): using Commons-Math3, I write geometry algorithms for our UAV flight management product at AiRXOS (part of GE Aviation). However, I'm discovering bugs in Commons-Math3, one of which I helped fix in Commons Geometry. I would like to use Commons Geometry instead (for reasons mentioned above).

Regards,
Baljit

On 5/21/20, 9:02 PM, "Gilles Sadowski" <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello.

    > Hi Matt, Gilles,
    >
    > Any updates on when the commons-geometry release is going to be?

    The question is of general interest.  Could you please post it
    to the "dev" ML?

    > I’m finding
    > more and more issues with the package
    > org.apache.commons.math3.geometry.spherical.twod, and its causing issues
    > with our product.

    Is the code in "Commons Geometry" free of those issues?
    It would be nice to have unit tests that check those cases.

    > I would like to upgrade to something that is actively
    > being developed.

    Sure.
    So, you are user number "1" (?). ;-)

    > Looking at JIRA, it looks like the release is almost ready,
    > only 3 (minor) issues to go.

    If you can help with those...

    Thanks,
    Gilles