Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael <mi...@ispwest.com> on 2003/02/22 05:00:25 UTC

Tests take longer to run.

OK, I thought it was my imagination at first but it isn't. Ever since
the "sleep" changes, "make check" takes MUCH longer to run on my FreeBSD
box.

For long periods of time there is 0% cpu usage and everything (including
python) is waiting in select or poll.

Anyone have any idea why? Its kind of annoying to have to start it
before I go to bed so I don't notice the HOURS its taking on my 1GHz
Athlon.

Michael

Re: Tests take longer to run.

Posted by Michael <mi...@ispwest.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman writes:
 > Michael <mi...@ispwest.com> writes:
 > > OK, I thought it was my imagination at first but it isn't. Ever since
 > > the "sleep" changes, "make check" takes MUCH longer to run on my FreeBSD
 > > box.
 > >
 > > For long periods of time there is 0% cpu usage and everything (including
 > > python) is waiting in select or poll.
 >
 > I use FreeBSD 4.7, and haven't noticed any changes in 'make check' at
 > all, certainly not the behaviors you're describing.  If anything,
 > they've gotten slightly faster...

Well, my tests lock up with python waiting in waitpid().

I recompiled python with WITHOUT_THREADS defined and now my tests work
again.

*shrug*

go figure.

Michael

Re: Tests take longer to run.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Tests take longer to run.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Michael <mi...@ispwest.com> writes:

> OK, I thought it was my imagination at first but it isn't. Ever since
> the "sleep" changes, "make check" takes MUCH longer to run on my FreeBSD
> box.
>
> For long periods of time there is 0% cpu usage and everything (including
> python) is waiting in select or poll.

Can you identify which commands are "running" during these periods?

> Anyone have any idea why? Its kind of annoying to have to start it
> before I go to bed so I don't notice the HOURS its taking on my 1GHz
> Athlon.

Assuming the problem occurs when the command line client is running,
can you reproduce it from the command line?  Try something like

$ cd subversion/tests/clients/cmdline
$ svn co file://`pwd`/repositories/externals_tests-1 wc

On my Linux box I get seven checkouts (six externals) with one short
sleep at the end.

--
Philip Martin