Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ravi Solr <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/04 22:25:39 UTC

Query ReRanking question

Can the ReRanking API be used to sort within docs retrieved by a date field
? Can somebody help me understand how to write such a query ?

Thanks

Ravi Kiran Bhaskar

Re: Query ReRanking question

Posted by Ravi Solr <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much for responding. I want to do exactly the opposite of
what you said. I want to sort the relevant docs in reverse chronology. If
you sort by date before hand then the relevancy is lost. So I want to get
Top N relevant results and then rerank those Top N to achieve relevant
reverse chronological results.

If you ask Why would I want to do that ??

Lets take a example about Malaysian airline crash. several articles might
have been published over a period of time. When I search for - malaysia
airline crash blackbox - I would want to see "relevant" results but would
also like to see the the recent developments on the top i.e. effectively a
reverse chronological order within the relevant results, like telling a
story over a period of time

Hope i am clear. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Ravi Kiran Bhaskar