Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/24 12:09:38 UTC

Re: Mapping font references to a base 14 font

Hi Jeremias,

Your suggested format does seem more flexible but implementing this would expand the scope of the
job more than is necessary for me to implement this feature.  Then there is also the question of
backwards compatibility...  (especially if the <font-triplet/> is scheme is changed/superseded).

I only have the simple requirement to substitute a font reference with a particular standard base 14
font.  I am trying to incorporate this feature without spending too much time adding new code or
creating and managing new configuration schemes.  If I implement it the way I suggested its maybe
only 1/2 - 1 day of work.

Adrian.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Adrian

You could just leave the font-weight and font-style matching on the side
for now and only do font-family matching. That leaves you with exactly
the same functionality you planned but with the option to extend the
whole thing later. And I'm sure it's not significantly more work this
way. Otherwise, we're just introducing a parallel mechanism later on
because you restricted yourself to base 14 fonts.

How is backwards compatibility involved here? Could you elaborate on
that?

I'm not sure how you planned to implement your idea, so I'll shortly
outline mine:

FontInfo.lookupFont() is the main change area for my idea. Instead of
just blindly generating a FontTriplet, the substitution list is
consulted by looking up the font-family (I'd call that matching and the
info for that comes from the "from" tag in my example). In your case you
just implement font-family matching and leave font-weight and font-style
matching to me for later. If you have a match you build the FontTriplet
and replace the values specified on the "to" element in my example. With
that FontTriplet you go normally into the font lookup process. Finally,
this has to be tied into the PrintRendererConfiguration. I hope that
makes sense.

If you're more comfortable with your own approach I guess I can live
with that.

Jeremias Maerki