Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Emir Imamagic <ei...@srce.hr> on 2013/06/26 22:57:59 UTC

XenServer 6.2.0

Hello *

seems XenServer is going open-source:
http://blogs.citrix.com/2013/06/25/xenserver-6-2-is-now-fully-open-source/
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137826
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137838

Is there any chance this will change VCL plans for XenServer support?

Cheers
--
Emir Imamagic
SRCE - University of Zagreb University Computing Centre, www.srce.unizg.hr

Re: XenServer 6.2.0

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Mark,

I suspect the differences are feature related, Citrix XenServer would
have paid developers behind it. I've not had any hands on experience
with either, so someone more knowledge might be able to answer.

But here is a quick link on some differences.
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP/XenServer_Feature_Matrix

-A

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu> wrote:
> Can someone tell me the difference between XenServer that Citrix is
> open sourcing and the original Xen which I believe has always been
> open source?
>
> Mark
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Emir,
>>
>> It has not been requested before, it sounds like a very good addition,
>> I know I would like to see it.  Is this something you would like to
>> try to work on?
>>
>> While we haven't done the best lately in trying to build Apache VCL's
>> committers, we are definitely interested in bringing in more folks who
>> are interested in expanding VCL.
>>
>> If this is something you'd like to try, I can do my best in guiding
>> you to get started.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>> cc'd dev@vcl.apache.org
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Emir Imamagic <ei...@srce.hr> wrote:
>>> Hello *
>>>
>>> seems XenServer is going open-source:
>>> http://blogs.citrix.com/2013/06/25/xenserver-6-2-is-now-fully-open-source/
>>> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137826
>>> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137838
>>>
>>> Is there any chance this will change VCL plans for XenServer support?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> --
>>> Emir Imamagic
>>> SRCE - University of Zagreb University Computing Centre, www.srce.unizg.hr
>>> Emir.Imamagic@srce.hr, tel: +385 1 616 5809, fax: +385 1 616 5559
>>

>> --
>> Aaron Peeler
>> Program Manager
>> Virtual Computing Lab
>> NC State University
>>
>> All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
>> are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
>> Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
>

> --
> Mark Gardner

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: XenServer 6.2.0

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Mark,

I suspect the differences are feature related, Citrix XenServer would
have paid developers behind it. I've not had any hands on experience
with either, so someone more knowledge might be able to answer.

But here is a quick link on some differences.
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP/XenServer_Feature_Matrix

-A

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu> wrote:
> Can someone tell me the difference between XenServer that Citrix is
> open sourcing and the original Xen which I believe has always been
> open source?
>
> Mark
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Emir,
>>
>> It has not been requested before, it sounds like a very good addition,
>> I know I would like to see it.  Is this something you would like to
>> try to work on?
>>
>> While we haven't done the best lately in trying to build Apache VCL's
>> committers, we are definitely interested in bringing in more folks who
>> are interested in expanding VCL.
>>
>> If this is something you'd like to try, I can do my best in guiding
>> you to get started.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>> cc'd dev@vcl.apache.org
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Emir Imamagic <ei...@srce.hr> wrote:
>>> Hello *
>>>
>>> seems XenServer is going open-source:
>>> http://blogs.citrix.com/2013/06/25/xenserver-6-2-is-now-fully-open-source/
>>> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137826
>>> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137838
>>>
>>> Is there any chance this will change VCL plans for XenServer support?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> --
>>> Emir Imamagic
>>> SRCE - University of Zagreb University Computing Centre, www.srce.unizg.hr
>>> Emir.Imamagic@srce.hr, tel: +385 1 616 5809, fax: +385 1 616 5559
>>

>> --
>> Aaron Peeler
>> Program Manager
>> Virtual Computing Lab
>> NC State University
>>
>> All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
>> are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
>> Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
>

> --
> Mark Gardner

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: XenServer 6.2.0

Posted by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu>.
Can someone tell me the difference between XenServer that Citrix is
open sourcing and the original Xen which I believe has always been
open source?

Mark

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Emir,
>
> It has not been requested before, it sounds like a very good addition,
> I know I would like to see it.  Is this something you would like to
> try to work on?
>
> While we haven't done the best lately in trying to build Apache VCL's
> committers, we are definitely interested in bringing in more folks who
> are interested in expanding VCL.
>
> If this is something you'd like to try, I can do my best in guiding
> you to get started.
>
> Aaron
>
> cc'd dev@vcl.apache.org
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Emir Imamagic <ei...@srce.hr> wrote:
>> Hello *
>>
>> seems XenServer is going open-source:
>> http://blogs.citrix.com/2013/06/25/xenserver-6-2-is-now-fully-open-source/
>> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137826
>> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137838
>>
>> Is there any chance this will change VCL plans for XenServer support?
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Emir Imamagic
>> SRCE - University of Zagreb University Computing Centre, www.srce.unizg.hr
>> Emir.Imamagic@srce.hr, tel: +385 1 616 5809, fax: +385 1 616 5559
>

> --
> Aaron Peeler
> Program Manager
> Virtual Computing Lab
> NC State University

Mark Gardner

Re: XenServer 6.2.0

Posted by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu>.
Can someone tell me the difference between XenServer that Citrix is
open sourcing and the original Xen which I believe has always been
open source?

Mark

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Emir,
>
> It has not been requested before, it sounds like a very good addition,
> I know I would like to see it.  Is this something you would like to
> try to work on?
>
> While we haven't done the best lately in trying to build Apache VCL's
> committers, we are definitely interested in bringing in more folks who
> are interested in expanding VCL.
>
> If this is something you'd like to try, I can do my best in guiding
> you to get started.
>
> Aaron
>
> cc'd dev@vcl.apache.org
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Emir Imamagic <ei...@srce.hr> wrote:
>> Hello *
>>
>> seems XenServer is going open-source:
>> http://blogs.citrix.com/2013/06/25/xenserver-6-2-is-now-fully-open-source/
>> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137826
>> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137838
>>
>> Is there any chance this will change VCL plans for XenServer support?
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Emir Imamagic
>> SRCE - University of Zagreb University Computing Centre, www.srce.unizg.hr