Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Dieter Tremel <tr...@tremel-computer.de> on 2017/12/08 07:16:55 UTC

Git team workflow

Hello wicketstuff team,

as newbie wicketstuff contributor (gchart) I have to ask some questions
around team workflow.

Sorry if my knowledge here is not sufficient, I work mostly alone for a
long time, so I had to improve my git and github handling a lot. And of
course I don't want initiate any silly or destructive actions on the
github repository.

I have improved gchart in 5 commits and this should be moved to the
repository. This is my setup including my fork:

> $ git remote -v
> origin  https://tremel@github.com/tremel/core.git (fetch)
> origin  https://tremel@github.com/tremel/core.git (push)
> upstream        https://tremel@github.com/wicketstuff/core.git (fetch)
> upstream        https://tremel@github.com/wicketstuff/core.git (push)

I already pulled and merged the actual master from wicketstuff/core and
pushed to tremel/core. So I could easily start a pull request.

My commits are in a branch named gchart-ajax-fix, pushed to tremel/core
too. As far as I understand, as a contributor I could commit directly to
wicketstuff/core/gchart ("no merge commits") but also start a pull
request from tremel/core. What is the right way to to it?

I suppose small commits like typos in gchart I should do without
disturbing you with a pull request, larger improvements you should look
at by pull request from tremel/core. Right?

Thank you for some advice.
Dieter

Re: Git team workflow

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Dieter,

You are the "component owner" so you can commit directly in case "you
feel lucky (c)" and don't need a review
PR is necessary in case you need second opinion or two :)

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Git team workflow

Posted by Dieter Tremel <tr...@tremel-computer.de>.
Hello Maxim and Tobias,

thank you for your answers :-)

I merged my branch into master and pushed to wicketstuff/core/master.

The gchart-examples now has a *working* chart refresh by ajax.

Have a good weekend!
Dieter

Re: Git team workflow

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

if you don‘t be sure if everything is right you can also push your changes into a separate branch at your repo and create a PR to the target branch at your own repo (with the github ui) This way you can review your changes before pushing them to the wickstuff or even provide a PR there.

kind regards

Tobias