Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Adam Walz <ad...@adamwalz.net> on 2021/01/14 15:56:46 UTC

Re: Poor tool detail on lucene.apache.org/solr/ site

I’m not a committer but I wholly disagree with this sentiment. The amount
of information in the solr reference guide is vast and it is the first
place I go to find out how some component works. I rarely have to go to the
code when there is some piece not documented in enough detail in the
reference guide.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:51 PM Tom Hoffelder <th...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> The detail on the  lucene.apache.org/solr/ is very brief and poor.  It
> seems you are just pushing folks to buy the newest SOLR book.  very sad,
> who new is going to use this tool if the documentation detail is lousy.
>  Most will just go buy a well document non-open sorce tool that is well
> supported.
>
> The introduction pages are just a half page is detail, a Readers Digest
> book has more information. Once again, open sorce folks have their tin cup
> out trying to collect funds by selling books and not educate new comers.
> Imagin the use population of you tool if it was easy to use and no
> secret-secret on how to use and set.  Everybody could use their own private
> data mine and we crawl tools,  it would marginalize the Google world/impact.
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> TH
>

> --
Adam Walz