Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/10 20:37:20 UTC

Questions about axistools-maven-plugin

Can someone give me some help on using axistools-maven-plugin?

The wsdl2java goal generates java files into a target directory (can
be changed, but that's the default).  Consequently, those files don't
get compiles as part of 'mvn compile'

Is it a better practice to change the output directory so they do get compiled?

Also, the build I'm converting to Maven currently uses the ant
axis-wsdl2java tasks.  It specifies a url of "schema/myspec.wsdl"  but
the following example appears to utilize REAL url.. Can anyone give me
a better idea of what the various attributes in the pom.xml plugin
section should be?  Or are there some better resources that what is
available at the plugin's website?

http://mojo.codehaus.org/axistools-maven-plugin/examples/simple.html

--
Greg Akins

http://insomnia-consulting.org
http://www.pghcodingdojo.org
http://pittjug.dev.java.net
http://twitter.com/akinsgre
http://www.linkedin.com/in/akinsgre

Re: Questions about axistools-maven-plugin

Posted by "Meeusen, Christopher W." <Me...@mayo.edu>.
No, not personally.  But I know of a team that uses that plugin to
generate adb stubs, they say it work well.

Chris

Posted by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Wayne..

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>> This helped a lot.  One last issue I have, and am not sure how to
>> resolve, is that I need Axis1 & Axis2 generated source.  Is that
>> possible by defining two different plugin sections that point to
>> different versions of axistools?  Or do I need to do something else?
>
> I don't think you can do Axis 2 generation, but haven't tried myself.

Ah.. I think I assumed it was Axis2.  So looking at my Ant build file
from the current, non-maven build; the Axis2 is generated a <java/>
call to WSDL2Java.

Any thoughts on what it would take to adapt the plugin so it could do
Axis2?   If not, any thoughts on the "Maven" way to do Axis2
generation?

-greg

Re: Questions about axistools-maven-plugin

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-08-10 23:05, Greg Akins wrote:
> Thanks Dennis.
>
> This helped a lot.  One last issue I have, and am not sure how to
> resolve, is that I need Axis1 & Axis2 generated source.  Is that
> possible by defining two different plugin sections that point to
> different versions of axistools?  Or do I need to do something else?

I don't think you can do Axis 2 generation, but haven't tried myself.

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> The generated files are included when Maven compiles your source files,
>> provided you add the proper <execution> that is shown on the simple
>> configuration page.
>>

> I found out after some reading that they do get compiled automatically
> as part of the 'install' goal, which is good enough for me.
>
>> If you have a file in your project that is a wsdl file, you should use
>> the <wsdlFiles> parameter instead of <urls>, like this
>>
>> <wsdlFiles>
>>  <wsdlFile>schema/myspec.wsdl</wsdlFile>
>> </wsdlFiles>
>>

> OK.. apparently <url/> worked, but I'll change it to <wsdlFiles/> to
> be more precise.
>>  Or are there some better resources that what is
>>> available at the plugin's website?
>>>
>>> http://mojo.codehaus.org/axistools-maven-plugin/examples/simple.html
>
> This confused me a bit; it was hard to tell why some of the values
> were being used.  I am using 1.4, since I just started working on this
> this morning..

Yes, that page still needs improvement.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Questions about axistools-maven-plugin

Posted by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dennis.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi Greg

On 2010-08-10 20:37, Greg Akins wrote:
> Can someone give me some help on using axistools-maven-plugin?
>
> The wsdl2java goal generates java files into a target directory (can
> be changed, but that's the default).  Consequently, those files don't
> get compiles as part of 'mvn compile'

The generated files are included when Maven compiles your source files,
provided you add the proper <execution> that is shown on the simple
configuration page.

> Is it a better practice to change the output directory so they do get compiled?
>
> Also, the build I'm converting to Maven currently uses the ant
> axis-wsdl2java tasks.  It specifies a url of "schema/myspec.wsdl"  but
> the following example appears to utilize REAL url.. Can anyone give me
> a better idea of what the various attributes in the pom.xml plugin
> section should be?

If you have a file in your project that is a wsdl file, you should use
the <wsdlFiles> parameter instead of <urls>, like this

<wsdlFiles>
  <wsdlFile>schema/myspec.wsdl</wsdlFile>
</wsdlFiles>

or if "schema" is the source directory of all your wsdl files, do it
like this:

<sourceDirectory>${basedir}/schema</sourceDirectory>
<wsdlFiles>
  <wsdlFile>myspec.wsdl</wsdlFile>
</wsdlFiles>

 Or are there some better resources that what is
> available at the plugin's website?
>
> http://mojo.codehaus.org/axistools-maven-plugin/examples/simple.html

I've just deployed the new 1.4 version of this plugin. New in that
version is improved documentation. For every plugin parameter that has a
corresponding command line option in the WSDL2Java tool, there is a
description of which option it corresponds to. Have a look at

http://mojo.codehaus.org/axistools-maven-plugin/wsdl2java-mojo.html

--
Dennis Lundberg