Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by neal jacobs <mn...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/22 14:04:34 UTC

Open Office writer Hebrew Language

I presently use OO 4.2.1 writer English. I would like to have Hebrew as a
second language using the open office writer. Please advised me how I can
install the Hebrew language.
Thank you,
Neal Jacobs

Fwd: Open Office writer Hebrew Language

Posted by neal jacobs <mn...@gmail.com>.
Please add this to my request to install Hebrew language into oo 4.2.1.I
have a Lenovo laptop computer with Microsoft 8.1 software
Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.

At 08:08 22/12/2015 -0500, Neal Jacobs wrote:
>I have a Lenovo laptop computer with Microsoft 8.1 software

I'm no expert in this, but I know enough to get you started. There
are a number of separate things you need to do.

In OpenOffice:
o Go to Tools | Options... | Language Settings | Languages.
o Under "Enhanced language support", tick "Show UI elements for
Bi-Directional writing". (Means "user interface".)
o Under "Default languages for documents", for CTL select Hebrew.
(Means "complex text layout".) Note that you can choose this for
documents generally or "For the current document only".
o OK.

You will now see two new buttons in the Formatting toolbar:
Left-To-Right and Right-To-Left. At this point, you can create
right-to-left Hebrew text in OpenOffice, which you can confirm using
Insert | Special Character... . But you won't want to enter text in
this laborious way, of course, so there is more to be done. You may
have a Hebrew keyboard available, or you may be happy typing in
Hebrew on your existing (Latin) keyboard that you use for typing in
English. Either way, you will need to get your operating system to
interpret your key presses appropriately.

In Windows:
o Go to Control Panel and click Language.
o Click "Add a language" and follow the instructions to add Hebrew.
(I don't have Windows 8.1 in front of me, so can't tell you the details.)

Once you have done this, you should se a language indicator (probably
"EN" for English - and "HE" for Hebrew?) on your screen. Where is
this in Windows 8.1: somewhere at the bottom or in the corner? You
can now toggle between English and Hebrew by either clicking this
language icon or using an appropriate keyboard shortcut. (This may be
Left Alt+Shift.) This will change the way that Windows interprets key
presses. Note that it doesn't matter what characters actually appear
on the keyboard itself: Windows will interpret the top left of the
letter keys as "Q" in English and a slash in Hebrew.

Now you can type in Hebrew fluently. But you will also want to check
spelling in Hebrew. A Hebrew spelling dictionary is not bundled with
the English version of OpenOffice, but you can obtain one as an extension from
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/hebrew-he-spell-check-dictionary
. Note that you can mark different parts of a document as being in
different languages (in a number of ways), so you could check text in
English and Hebrew in the same document (if that is what you need to
have) in a single pass.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker