Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kevin Duling <kd...@pivotal.io> on 2016/06/30 18:03:55 UTC

Valid characters in region names?

I'm working on a bug where it is not possible to delete a region that has a
hyphen in it.  E.g., the region was created with:

create region --name=not-good --type=REPLICATE

I've a solution done, but see this as an opportunity to add a test for
other special characters.  Is there a list of valid and invalid characters
for a region name?

Re: Valid characters in region names?

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.
We already discussed this on the previous thread and got general consensus
on getting "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz12345678
90_-" for Geode...  Anything other than this can be problematic for JMX and
other components that will then require special treatment to handle unusual
chars.

If any user is coming from GemFire , they still can use snapshots to
export/import data into the new regions.

I'd also recommend enforcing the rules for region creation in all possible
APIs, for consistency...  (GFSH, cache.xml, RegionFactory...)

--

~/William

Re: Valid characters in region names?

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Karen Miller <km...@pivotal.io>.
Here is the page of the documentation on region naming:

http://docs-geode-develop.cfapps.io/docs/basic_config/data_regions/region_naming.html

I'm guessing that a JIRA for also including a dash was not implemented.
When you find the
JIRA number, please post it on this thread.

Posted by Kevin Duling <kd...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Kevin Duling <kd...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.