Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by David Van Couvering <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2005/08/30 23:49:25 UTC

Message translation question

I am curious.  What process is followed when someone adds a new message
to messages.properties.  How do folks who want these messages translated
find out what new messages need to be translated in each release?

Thanks,

David

Re: Message translation question

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

> And, who translates the messages?

Same as any other piece of work in an open source project, anyone who
wants to, anyone who needs it, anyone who has that itch.

Dan.

Re: Message translation question

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 8/30/05, David Van Couvering <Da...@sun.com> wrote:

> I am curious. What process is followed when someone adds a new message
> to messages.properties. How do folks who want these messages translated
> find out what new messages need to be translated in each release?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

 Thx for asking this - I've been wondering the same thing...
And, who translates the messages?
(my reason: I looked at the patch for DERBY-117 - because I wanted to
address DERBY-385)

Re: Message translation question

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for the clarification, Dan. With community backing, I suppose
that a release coordinator could tighten this up.

Cheers,
-Rick

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Francois Orsini wrote:
>
>> You will always run into the situation where noone can review some
>> translated messages - it should work the same as getting code  changes
>> reviewed - Can code changes be checked-in without getting  reviewed? ;)

Yes, code can be checked in without review. Derby is following
Commit-then-Review, if a committer has confidence in a change it can be
committed.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#CommitThenReview

> Ok, but let's say that I have a set of translations for the 10.1
> messages (which I do). Can I not check them in because the community  on
> derby-dev lacks the language expertise to review all the  translated
> messages?
>
> I trust that the translations are correct. My employer paid for the
> translations and I have reason to believe that the quality of the
> translation is high. That doesn't mean that you should necessarily
> trust that the translations are correct. But, neither of us has the
> expertise to verify that they are all correct.

As a committer you can check the changes in. Translations follow the
same rules as the code.

Dan.

Re: Message translation question

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 31, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Francois Orsini wrote:

> You will always run into the situation where noone can review some
> translated messages - it should work the same as getting code
> changes reviewed - Can code changes be checked-in without getting
> reviewed? ;)

Ok, but let's say that I have a set of translations for the 10.1
messages (which I do). Can I not check them in because the community
on derby-dev lacks the language expertise to review all the
translated messages?

I trust that the translations are correct. My employer paid for the
translations and I have reason to believe that the quality of the
translation is high. That doesn't mean that you should necessarily
trust that the translations are correct. But, neither of us has the
expertise to verify that they are all correct.

Do I sit on these translated messages forever more, and not
contribute them? Or can we all agree to trust the translations, even
though we can't personally verify their quality?

andrew

Re: Message translation question

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.