Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sarah Haff <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/08 16:56:13 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL enabled benchmark tool for webserver

Hi,

Is there a good SSL enabled benchmark utility for webserver?

I was looking at 'ab' but the documentation says
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/ab.html):
"This feature is experimental and very rudimentary. You probably do not want
to use it." for using it with https://

Any other benchmarking utlities available?

Thanks
Sarah

Re: [users@httpd] SSL enabled benchmark tool for webserver

Posted by Josh Wyatt <Jo...@hcssystems.com>.
Sarah Haff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a good SSL enabled benchmark utility for webserver?
>
> I was looking at 'ab' but the documentation says
> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/ab.html):
> "This feature is experimental and very rudimentary. You probably do not
> want to use it." for using it with https://
>
> Any other benchmarking utlities available?
>
> Thanks
> Sarah

I've used httperf in the past with good results.  It's a GPL'ed command line tool maintained by a couple of guys at
Hewlett-Packard's Research Labs.  Preliminary SSL support is included as of version 0.8.

Caveat: make sure and read through the README, which describes how to enable SSL support when compiling.

httperf website:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/David_Mosberger/httperf.html

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Thanks,
Josh

Re: [users@httpd] SSL enabled benchmark tool for webserver

Posted by Geoff Thorpe <ge...@geoffthorpe.net>.
Hi,

On October 8, 2003 10:56 am, Sarah Haff wrote:
> Is there a good SSL enabled benchmark utility for webserver?

The "sslswamp" utility is bundled with the distcache project at;
   http://www.distcache.org/

This allows you to send concurrent requests to more than one server,
specify arbitrary patterns of session resume requests (and analyse how
many succeed or fail - resulting in full handshakes), and can spit out
comma-delimited stats so you could post-process things with spreadsheets
etc. (eg. useful if you use more than one client machine for benchmarking
and you want to collate the results). Note, it's not a tool "built for
https", it's more built for SSL itself. As it happens, the default
request string is a basic http request, and the default terminating logic
is to expect a certain number of response bytes before closing the
tunnel, though this can be altered (including waiting for the server to
terminate). Anyway, hope that's of some use. Feedback and patches are
always welcome too, BTW :-)

Cheers,
Geoff

--