Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> on 2017/04/01 22:50:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Time for a 1.0.0 Release and new Package Names?

All @devs and @users -

With the 0.12.0 release behind us which concentrated on KIP-4 to improve
the knoxshell SDK and DSL capabilities and maturity as well as other bug
fixes and improvements, I think we should seriously consider a 1.0.0
release for Apache Knox.

We have always tried to maintain backward compatibility across the releases
anyway - so this will not be adding any additional burden.

The one aspect that we do need to close on is the package names used by the
project.

Currently, we use a base of org.apache.hadoop.gateway for all of our java
code. We should at least consider changing this to something like
org.apache.knox.gateway.

At the same time, we need to consider the backward compatibility aspects of
this change and how it would effect a number of consumers:

* folks that have extended existing abstract classes or implemented
interfaces
* folks that are running tests suites that have explicit classnames in
configuration, etc
* existing deployments that may upgrade to a 1.0.0 release and have
{GATEWAY_HOME}/data/deployments directories full of descriptors with the
current KnoxLdapRealm classname and package
* any others?

It would likely require some testing to ensure that our unit tests and any
known system/functional tests that are running outside of dev environments
pass. Which may require some shim classes in the old packages for known
extension points and classes.

A 1.0.0 release is an exciting milestone and I look forward to seeing it
happen for our community!

Any thoughts, concerns or ideas?

thanks!

--larry

Re: [DISCUSS] Time for a 1.0.0 Release and new Package Names?

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
All -

I think that I will assume that the #3 approach described here will be the
path forward.
I also think that this refactoring effort deserves a KIP to collect the
approach and set the expectations clearly.

I will also start a thread for 0.13.0/1.0.0 Planning which will include
this refactoring.
We will need to determine the other features and bug fixes that are vital
in the next release while trying to keep the scope as tight as possible.

thanks,

--larry

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
Good to hear, Jeffrey.

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
Good to hear, Jeffrey.

Posted by Jeffrey Rodriguez <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Sandeep More <mo...@gmail.com>.
Right, in #2 I meant just one patch.

About the #3 option:
Now I see what you meant by double commits :) I was thinking the other way
around.

I do like #3 option !

Best,
Sandeep