Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2017/06/08 15:39:09 UTC

Re: [POLL] Who still uses Java 7 with Flink ?

Hi all,

as promised in March, I want to revive this discussion!

Our users are begging for Scala 2.12 support [1], migration to Akka 2.4
would solve a bunch of shading / dependency issues (Akka 2.4 will remove
Akka's protobuf dependency [2][3]) and generally Java 8's new language
features all speak for dropping Java 7.

Java 8 has been released in March, 2014. Java 7 is unsupported since June
2016.

So what's the feeling in the community regarding the step?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-5005#
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3211?
focusedCommentId=15274018&page=com.atlassian.jira.
plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15274018

Posted by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>.
We're not using Java 7 anymore from last year already.
So +1 to upgrade to java 8 from Okkam

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@data-artisans.com>.
+1 for dropping Java 7.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.