Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by sjohnson <sj...@parisgroup.net> on 2003/07/17 08:16:18 UTC

Re: HELP!! - Berkeley DB error (some more info)

Some info on what svn version and OS's we're running:

Subversion version 0.23.0 (r5926) on the server and all clients
Berkeley DB 4.0.14
MacOS X 10.2.6 (Darwin 6.6) on clients
MacOS X Server ??? (Darwin 6.6) on server
Running apache 2.0.45 to serve repository access over HTTPS.

Steve Johnson
DigitalFish Films

Re: HELP!! - Berkeley DB error

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za> writes:

> >    Berkeley DB error while appending string for filesystem
> > /usr/local/svn_repository/db:
> >       DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> [snip]
>
> Sounds like it might be a permissions problem.  Make sure that whatever
> user is accessing the repository has read and write access to all the
> files in the repository's db subdirectory (and to the directory itself.)

Right.  Read over this section of the book as well:

  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch05s05.html

Re: HELP!! - Berkeley DB error

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: HELP!! - Berkeley DB error

Posted by Roland Bramm <ro...@butlers-djihad.de>.
Hi,

if you can still read the repository without any propblems, you could
just make a avn dump of the complete thing and then delete (move) the
actuall repository and then check in the dump. This should completly
solve the Problem (but not the cause ...)

Regards Roland

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 06:14:30AM -0400, John Szakmeister wrote:
> Somebody else might want to pipe in here, but I believe there was a locking
> under MacOS X and DB 4.0.X... ah yes, here is a message from gstein in the
> archives:
>   http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgId=198124
>
> So, I would try to get the database you have up and running enough to do a
> dump/load, and recompile subversion (and the necessary dependcies) to use DB
> 4.1.X.

I wonder where the best place to put a "you should not try to use svn
on OS X with DB 4.0.x" warning message would be.   INSTALL?  the FAQ?
Should we check at configure-time?

--ben

Re: HELP!! - Berkeley DB error (some more info)

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
Somebody else might want to pipe in here, but I believe there was a locking
under MacOS X and DB 4.0.X... ah yes, here is a message from gstein in the
archives:
  http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgId=198124

So, I would try to get the database you have up and running enough to do a
dump/load, and recompile subversion (and the necessary dependcies) to use DB
4.1.X.

-John

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:48:43AM -0500, B. W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> "sjohnson" <sj...@parisgroup.net> writes:
> > Some info on what svn version and OS's we're running:
> >
> > Subversion version 0.23.0 (r5926) on the server and all clients
> > Berkeley DB 4.0.14
> > MacOS X 10.2.6 (Darwin 6.6) on clients
> > MacOS X Server ??? (Darwin 6.6) on server
> > Running apache 2.0.45 to serve repository access over HTTPS.
>
> I *so* hope that you have a backup.  BDB 4.0.x on Mac OS X is known to
> turn your database into tapioca.  Restore from a backup and upgrade to
> 4.1.x.
>
> Can anyone here with sufficient autoconf-fu whip up a patch to our
> configure that will bail if it finds BDB 4.0.x on Mac OS X

It appears that Matt Kraai had enough autoconf-fu, since in rev 5692 he
did exactly that.   For some reason it didn't catch this case, though.
Was this svn built before 2003-04-21?

Here's an excerpt from configure.in:

case "$host" in
powerpc-apple-darwin*)
    # Berkeley DB 4.0 does not work on OS X.
    SVN_FS_WANT_DB_MAJOR=4
    SVN_FS_WANT_DB_MINOR=1
    SVN_FS_WANT_DB_PATCH=25

My only OS X host gets a value of "powerpc-apple-darwin6.6" for $host.

--ben