Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/15 08:45:57 UTC

[j9] bug

Hi all,

It seems I have found a bug in J9 VM. Do we have a JIRA category for
that? Is anybody interested in such type of feedback?

Alexei Zakharov,
Intel Middleware Product Division

Re: [j9] bug

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>
>> Interesting test case! ;)
>>
>> I have found the problem in the VME kernel StackTraceElement.java - this
>> will
>> be fixed for the next VME revision. The bug chops out middle zeroes from
>> the
>> line numbers, so if the line number is 102, you get 12. However, a line
>> number
>> of 112, for example, is displayed correctly, so in most cases this
>> should not
>> effect debugging.
>>

> LOL! That's a cool bug!  How did that happen?  Can you share some detail?

Basically there's a loop that converts the line number digit by digit
into chars before it
is printed, but it's a little over-enthusiastic where zeroes are
concerned :) Unfortunately
it skips the StringBuffer.append() call for 0 digits in the middle of
the line number.

Regards,
Oliver

> geir

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [j9] bug

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: [j9] bug

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Interesting test case! ;)

I have found the problem in the VME kernel StackTraceElement.java - this
will
be fixed for the next VME revision. The bug chops out middle zeroes from the
line numbers, so if the line number is 102, you get 12. However, a line
number
of 112, for example, is displayed correctly, so in most cases this
should not
effect debugging.

Thanks for finding it,
Oliver

Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> [...]
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> */
> public class TestMethodInvoke {
>    public static void main(String argv[]) throws Exception {
>        throw new Exception();
>    }
> }
>
> I have got the following VME's output when I ran this test on windows:
>
> Исключительная ситуация в нити "main" java.lang.Exception
>        at TestMethodInvoke.main(TestMethodInvoke.java:12)
>

> Sorry for Russian. Pay attention to the line number. Actual number
> should be 102.
>
> Regards,
>
> 2006/8/15, Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>:
>> Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>> > Hi Paulex,

>> > Ugh, thanks anyway.
>> >
>> > :)
>>
>> If you send the details to the list, then either Tim or myself will take
>> a look at it.

>> > So j9 is not a valid name for IBM VME anymore?
>>
>> If you say J9 VM, then it's not immediately clear whether you mean the
>> VME+Harmony
>> or the full IBM J9 JRE. Saying IBM VME just makes it more obvious.

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [j9] bug

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.