Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2010/07/21 13:06:01 UTC

Re: Apache Isis: project pre-proposal: looking for mentors and a sponsor

More precisely, that'd be James Carman (Commons).  I'm not on the Wicket team.

Re: Apache Isis: project pre-proposal: any other thoughts?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...We do have two mentors, but I'm still hoping that a few more might step
> forward before we formally post our project proposal.  When I spoke to
> Bertrand Delacrataz, he did mention that the incubator could do with a few
> new mentors.  So even if you've not mentored before, perhaps you might like
> to take on that role to help us?  I'm sure there would be some sort of
> meta-mentoring that could be sorted out!?!...

I think having new folks step up as mentors is great!

IIUC you have two ASF members volunteering as mentors - if they are
new to Incubator mentoring (I think it's the case?) it would be good
IMHO for someone who has already mentored other projects to join the
team. I don't have cycles to join ATM unfortunately.

-Bertrand

Re: Apache Isis: project pre-proposal: any other thoughts?

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I posted this yesterday, and got a couple of very positive reactions
which was great.  Just wondering if there are any other views?

We do have two mentors, but I'm still hoping that a few more might step
forward before we formally post our project proposal.  When I spoke to
Bertrand Delacrataz, he did mention that the incubator could do with a
few new mentors.  So even if you've not mentored before, perhaps you
might like to take on that role to help us?  I'm sure there would be
some sort of meta-mentoring that could be sorted out!?!

Thx
Dan

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nour,

Thank you for the support, that's great.  We'd be delighted to have you
on the committers team, I'm sure there's a place for you.  As you can
see from the diagram on http://www.nakedobjects.org/plugins, the NO
architecture is quite pluggable; so if you have a particular pet
technology that you're interested in integrating, then it's relatively
straightforward to do so without having to understand the rest of the stack.

Just looked at your linkedin profile ... for example, building on your
OpenEJB experience, one thing might be to provide a new remoting
protocol, surfacing the NO metamodel via session beans.

In the meantime, please do join the nakedobjects contributors list
(mailto:nakedobjects-contributors@lists.sourceforge.net), and we look
forward to having you onboard.

Cheers
Dan

On the UI side, we have a number of viewers (both webapp and rich
client), for the persistence layer there's a number of

Posted by Robert Matthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org>.
Hi

It great to see this interest.  We are currently hosted on SourceForge
so could you please email me details of your user name there and I'll
set up SVN access for you.  Any ideas what you'd like to work on?

Look forward to discussing it with you on the contributor mailing list.

Regards
Robert Matthew

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
The idea sounds fantastic

+1 (Not binding) on the pre-proposal. And if you allow me to join the
committers team, it would be an honor of mine.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> More precisely, that'd be James Carman (Commons).  I'm not on the Wicket team.
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We're considering proposing a group of related open source projects to the
>> Apache Incubator.  At an unconference a few weekends ago I met and sounded
>> out Bertrand Delacrataz and Lars Eilebrecht, who suggested a brief posting
>> here would be a good first step.
>>
>> So: the Apache Isis (?) project will provide the ability to rapidly develop
>> domain-driven applications.  Built on the Naked Objects framework
>> (http://nakedobjects.org) and a number of related sister projects
>> (http://starobjects.org), it allows full stack apps to be built just by
>> writing pojo domain objects.  Technically, it's somewhat akin to an ORM, but
>> rather than just automatically persisting your objects, it automatically
>> provides all the other necessary layers.  This means that the development
>> goes very very quickly, focusing on the bit that really matters; the
>> business application.
>>
>> One particularly important aspect is the ability to customise the generated
>> UIs.  The framework supports pluggable viewers running either as webapps and
>> RIA, and uses existing libraries such as Apache Wicket to support
>> customisation. The framework as a whole is customisable and provides a
>> plugin architecture to allow the other components to be pluggable.
>>
>> For some time Naked Objects, the framework, has elicited interest from
>> "early adopters", but our community remains small.  We're hoping that Apache
>> will provide a platform by which we can grow our community into the "early
>> majority".  We can demonstrate the commitment to do this (two books have
>> been written on Naked Objects).  Until recently there were just two main
>> committers, both freelancer developers based in the UK.  Since then we have
>> picked up three new committers (in Sweden, USA and South Africa), two
>> directly attributable to the publication of the second of these books in Dec
>> 2009.
>>
>> From our understanding of the Apache process, our proposal will need some
>> mentors and a sponsor.  Vincent Massol (Maven) has already offered, as has
>> James Carman (Wicket).  We're hoping that this post might interest a few
>> more, in which case we'll post a formal project proposal.
>>
>> Thanks for reading this, looking forward to your replies.
>>
>> Dan Haywood
>> Robert Matthews

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour