Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/16 19:35:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] tapestry.apache.org (TLP)?

What would be the benefits of moving Tapestry up to a TLP (Top Level Project)?

It would then be a peer of Struts/Shale and MyFaces, among many, many others.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: [DISCUSS] tapestry.apache.org (TLP)?

Posted by Massimo <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:42:38 -0500, Erik Hatcher
<er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:

> One benefit, besides a cooler URL, is that Tapestry's repository could
> be segregated into separate sub-projects which would make it much
> easier to have fine-grained access control and allow committers to
> contrib, but not to framework, and to house other component libraries
> with separate sets of committers.

Yes, having fine-grained acl to src tree could be a boost to make it
easier to have component libraries organized within/under the main
projects's own repository.
More aggregate community makes more power.

Besides that also as a marketing action (promoting tepestry in the
business) is a good gain.

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] tapestry.apache.org (TLP)?

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Mar 16, 2005, at 9:57 PM, Paul Ferraro wrote:
> How is top-level eligibility determined? Is there any criteria? e.g.
> size of user base, jakarta incubation period, etc.

Any Jakarta project that wants is eligible.  All it takes is a desire.
There is a push to flatten Apache's hierarchy - Jakarta in particular
has become distinct projects with no unified community.  The community
is the important criteria, and top-level projects at Apache should have
a unified community - Jakarta does not in general.

There would be no roadblocks to Tapestry becoming a TLP.

	Erik

Re: [DISCUSS] tapestry.apache.org (TLP)?

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.
How is top-level eligibility determined? Is there any criteria? e.g.
size of user base, jakarta incubation period, etc.

Paul

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <ha...@gmail.com>.
I say it would certainly be beneficial to be abreast Struts.

+1

-Harish