Posted to users@felix.apache.org by GERODOLLE Anne RD-MAPS-GRE <an...@orange-ftgroup.com> on 2007/08/20 16:34:11 UTC

R3 bundle backward compatibility

Hi everybody,

The OSGi R4 specifications indicates very clearly that "Release 3
bundles must be treated according to the R3 specification". (OSGi
Service Platform Core Specification, section 3.11 "Bundle Validity") .

Thus, it seems to me that felix should support installing legacy R3
bundle without any specific configurations. Felix 1.0.0 does not.

This problem was already raised by Andre Bottaro some months ago, and I
am aware of the answers made on felix user list, but not completely
satisfied with the answers. I am ready to believe that "Some framework
implementations allowed automatic access to classes on the class path
and some didn't", but I am convinced that basic packages like
"org.osgi.framework" and "javax.swing" were always available.

Thanks in advance for considering ensuring backward compatibility in
felix,

Anne

Re: R3 bundle backward compatibility

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I am fairly certain that the spec clearly stated in previous releases
that bundles only implicitly get "java.*" imported and must import
everything else.

Thus, if you have an R3 bundle that does this, then it will install
just fine on Felix. Any other bundle is essentially in error. Oscar was
non-compliant in this regard.

If you really want this, just change boot delegation to "*"...I don't
advise it. Otherwise, we are only talking about modifying the manifest
and we have tools that will do this automatically for you.

The only other option is to debate the merits of an "R3 boot
delegation" property if you feel normal boot delegation is too broad.
However, I would argue it doesn't make sense to bloat the framework for
erroneous bundles.

-> richard