Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jim Crossley <ji...@crossleys.org> on 2004/03/15 19:31:14 UTC

Properties and subprojects

I know maven doesn't exactly support property inheritance just yet,
but I'm wondering whether the following problem will be solved even
when that day comes.

My project has two war subprojects, an ear subproject, and a common
jar subproject.  Each war depends on the common jar and some external
jars required both at compile and run time.  The ear depends on the
two wars.

My problem is ear file bloat.  Both wars packaged in the ear contain
copies of the same external jars.  I would prefer the wars not contain
the external libs, but refer to common ones packaged in the root of
the ear.

But for testing, it's convenient to deploy the wars separately, in
which case the external jars must be put in WEB-INF/lib.

How do I arrange my ?ar.bundle dependency properties in the pom so
that when I build the war subproject, the external jars are packaged
with the war, and when I build the ear subproject, they are not?

I've tried this:  <war.bundle>${bundle.war}</war.bundle>

And then in the root project.properties, I set bundle.war=false.  In
the war subproject I set bundle.war=true.  But it seems the
subproject's bundle.war property always takes precedence, whether I
build from the root or not.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: [REPOST] Properties and subprojects

Posted by Jim Crossley <ji...@crossleys.org>.
dion@multitask.com.au writes:

> Jim Crossley <ji...@crossleys.org> wrote on 18/03/2004 01:57:22 PM:
>
> > How do I arrange my ?ar.bundle dependency properties in the pom so
> > that when I build the war subproject, the external jars are
> > packaged with the war, and when I build the ear subproject, they
> > are not?
>
> Have a postGoal on war that uses a property set in the parent to
> remove the unwanted jars after the war creation?

That works, thanks.

Re: [REPOST] Properties and subprojects

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.

--