Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Rory Winston <rw...@eircom.net> on 2006/09/04 12:09:26 UTC

[net] Release Candidate for 2.0

Hi all

I have done some work on a JDK 5.0 branch of Commons::Net. This may form
the basis of a 2.0 release. Releases for earlier JDKs can continue along
the 1.x branch. The major changes in the 2.0 branch are:

* FTPS (SSL/TLS) support has been added
* FTPClient doesnt extend TelnetClient any longer
* The build now uses Maven 2
* [net] is now standalone - no external dependencies outside the JDK itself
* One new FTP parser (Netware) has been added, and the MVS parser has
been heavily updated
* A mini "FTP-only" jar (~ 90k) is available for clients who just need
FTP functionality

A full list of changes can be found here:

http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/site/changes-report.html

I have made the distribution (*unsigned* as yet) available for inspection:

http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/

And the site is available:

http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/site/

Some more docs are yet to be added. Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks
Rory

Re: [net] Release Candidate for 2.0

Posted by Rory Winston <rw...@eircom.net>.
Steve

Thanks for the feedback. There are definitely some patches that can be
backported to the 1.x branch, namely:

* The Netware FTP parser
* The change to make FTPClient extend SocketClient
* The MVSParser changes

I can make these changes on the trunk.I will also remove the deprecated
classes and methods on the 2.0 branch.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
Rory

Posted by Rory Winston <rw...@eircom.net>.
Steve

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.
Rory Winston wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have done some work on a JDK 5.0 branch of Commons::Net. This may form
> the basis of a 2.0 release. Releases for earlier JDKs can continue along
> the 1.x branch. The major changes in the 2.0 branch are:
>
> * FTPS (SSL/TLS) support has been added
> * FTPClient doesnt extend TelnetClient any longer
> * The build now uses Maven 2
> * [net] is now standalone - no external dependencies outside the JDK itself
> * One new FTP parser (Netware) has been added, and the MVS parser has
> been heavily updated
> * A mini "FTP-only" jar (~ 90k) is available for clients who just need
> FTP functionality
>
> A full list of changes can be found here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/site/changes-report.html
>
> I have made the distribution (*unsigned* as yet) available for inspection:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/
>
> And the site is available:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/site/
>
> Some more docs are yet to be added. Any feedback appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Rory

Say, Rory, I notice that there are several classes that were deprecated several
years ago, with a notice that they would be removed in 2.0.  I think it would be
good to keep this promise and remove these before release as their presence only
causes confusion.

FTPFileListParser
FTPFileListParserImpl
DefaultFTPFileListParser

Additionally there are several deprecated methods in FTPClient, some of which
take params of the above classes.  These methods should also be removed.

Steve

Re: [net] Release Candidate for 2.0

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.