Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by fcxjp <fc...@163.com> on 2009/02/05 17:14:01 UTC

tomcat memory leak problem

My system environment is: Windows 2000 Server. JDK 1.5, tomcat 5.5, Oracle 9
The problems are:
1. After tomcat was started, the memory of the tomcat was normal, about
200M-300M. But after a certain time(this time was not set), the memory began
to grow, and the growing speed was so fast that in about 5 minites the
maximum would be reached. The difference of this problem with other problems
I've checked is, in other problems, the memory growing speed is continual
and not so fast, while in our problem the memory didn't grow at the
beginning, but after a certain time instead.

2. There is another strange phenomenon here.
We restarted tomcat at 23:30 last night. We checked the log at 8:00 this
morning and found out the system was not used by anyone during this time.
But the memory of tomcat had reached to 1.5G, which is the maximun of
tomcat's memory. Later, after some users began to use this system, tomcat'
memory dropped to 500M+. How and why was the memory collected?

By the way, we have cheched the code for any optimization, including
StringBuffer, Vector, datasource connections, etc., which only resulted with
a faster response speed for users, not any influence for the memory problem.

RE: tomcat memory leak problem

Posted by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com>.
The problem may be in your web application and not in Tomcat itself.
Duplicate your environment and use a memory profiler.  (like the one
included with Netbeans)
Or use the extended JVM options to produce a HeapDump

Posted by Hubert de Heer <hd...@mirabeau.nl>.
As stated below profiling (Yourkit is a very good recommendation, you can try their early access version http://www.yourkit.com/eap/index.jsp) will give you more insight in your tomcat application.

Sometimes changing your memory / garbage collect parameters can change the world for you. For more insight read:
http://www.informit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=java&seqNum=253
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html

Hubert
Are you sure you don't have any thread or task (I mean, quartz or so)
that is running and consume memory?

I agree, this sounds quite strange (our app is running for several weeks
and don't have any major issue, we sometimes need to restart tomcat
because it "hangs", but our memory is under control, and we use lotz of
external api like spring, hibernate, wicket, etc.)

Could you maybe profile it using Yourkit or any other tool?

Posted by Piller Sébastien <pi...@hmcrecord.ch>.