Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/07/08 12:16:39 UTC

[vote] XMLBeans to enter XML incubation [was: Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal in the XML Project (was RE: Vote for XMLBeans proposal)]

On 8/07/2003 9:29 Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> On behalf of the other committers, I would like to ask the XML PMC to
> consider accepting XMLBeans into the XML project.  We expect to address
> any remaining concerns that the community has during the incubation
> period.

Dear committers,

as outlined in the xml.apache.org charter (section 6.2), and in
collaboration with the Incubator
(http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/STATUS?rev=HEAD)

Subject to:

  - relicensing of the XMLBeans codebase using the ASL 1.1 license
(http://xml.apache.org/LICENSE)
  - copyright transfer from BEA to the ASF as described in
http://incubator.apache.org/process.html [1]
  - each initial XMLBeans committer sending in a Contributor's License
Agreement
(http://incubator.apache.org/forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.pdf)
  - furthermore, I would strongly suggest the XMLBeans code should only
be moved into Apache CVS once the outstanding LGPL & BEA-licensed code
dependency issues have been resolved.

Please cast your vote on the acceptance of the XMLBeans project for
incubation in the XML.Apache project:

----------- vote ballot ----------

   Name: ________________

   [  ]  I agree with and support this proposal (+1)
   [  ]  Indifference (-1 < x < +1)
   [  ]  I object and suggest a way to address my reservations (-1)

----------------------------------

----------- 8< ----------- 8< ----------- 8< -----------

If the outcome of this vote is positive and CLA forms are collected,
work can start on creating the necessary infrastructure resources. I'm
on holiday from the 12th until the 26th of July and won't be able to
help out coordination-wise, but here's a quick list of the top of my head:

  - collection and creation of initial committer accounts, using the
following template:

----------------------------------
  To: root@apache.org
  Cc: pmc@xml.apache.org, pmc@incubator.apache.org,
newcommitters@email.address

  Subject: Apache account requests for XMLBeans project incubation

  <repeat times="number of committers">
    Full name:                ...
    Preferred userid:         ...
    Forwarding email address: ...
    Unix group:               xml
  </repeat>

  - list archiving:
      - mbox -> xml.apache.org/mail
      - Eyebrowse setup

  - Bugzilla project creation and set up of notification mails

  - grant some committers access to xml-site module for website content

  - setup automated checkout of xml-site/targets/xml-beans on daedalus
for website (or give someone access to daedalus for manual website
publication)

  - send a big thank you to infrastructure@

That's about all I can think of ATM.

</Steven>

______________
[1] IIRC, there was a form for this as well, but I cannot locate it anymore

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [vote] XMLBeans to enter XML incubation [was: Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal in the XML Project (was RE: Vote for XMLBeans proposal)]

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Steven Noels wrote:

> ----------- vote ballot ----------
>
>    Name: Andrew Savory
>
>    [ x ]  I agree with and support this proposal (+1)
>    [  ]  Indifference (-1 < x < +1)
>    [  ]  I object and suggest a way to address my reservations (-1)
>
> ----------------------------------

Andrew.

Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/          Web:    www.luminas.co.uk

Posted by Tom Copeland <to...@infoether.com>.
> > Please cast your vote on the acceptance of the XMLBeans project for
> > incubation in the XML.Apache project:
> >
> >   [  ]  I agree with and support this proposal (+1)

+1

Tom Copeland
(Maven)

Posted by Tom Copeland <to...@infoether.com>.

Posted by Tom Copeland <to...@infoether.com>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 04:50:08PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

+1

--Jeff

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Tom Copeland wrote, On 08/07/2003 16.27:
>>>Please cast your vote on the acceptance of the XMLBeans project for
>>>incubation in the XML.Apache project:
>>>
>>>  [  ]  I agree with and support this proposal (+1)

+1

Carsten

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Tom Copeland wrote, On 08/07/2003 16.27:
>>>Please cast your vote on the acceptance of the XMLBeans project for
>>>incubation in the XML.Apache project:
>>>
>>>  [  ]  I agree with and support this proposal (+1)

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Dear committers,

<snip/>

> Please cast your vote on the acceptance of the XMLBeans project for
> incubation in the XML.Apache project:
>
>   [  ]  I agree with and support this proposal (+1)

+1

Vadim
(Jakarta/XML/Cocoon)

RE: [vote] XMLBeans to enter XML incubation

Posted by Rick Kellogg <rm...@earthlink.net>.
+1

Upon an initial read through of their documentation, this looks very
promising.

Rick Kellogg
Axis Committer

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
+1

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
+1

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
+1

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
+1

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
on 7/8/03 12:56 PM Ted Leung wrote:

> +1
>
> I am planning to meet Cliff Schimdt in person at OSCon later this week.
> I will also be happy to be the official shepherd during incubation.

I fully trust both Steven's and Ted's "mentoring" abilities.

I'm happy that people like Andy keep the 'corporate paranoia' alarm on,
we have been harmed by this too much in the past, but I, like Greg,
sense the intention of doing good and work hard to pay off the benefit
of being part of the foundation.

But given my past experiences, I foresee one potential problem that I
would like to show, so that both the XMLBeans committers and the mentors
can start tuning their alarms for it.

First a few reminding statements:

 1) incubation is about judging the quality of community development in
the diverse open and meritocratic spirit of the ASF. It is *NOT* about
judging technical merits. We let Darwin take care of that because no
mentor, no ASF member should judge a technology being proposed, since
this might stop technological evolution.

 2) incubation is about protecting the foundation name from being
abused. it should *NOT* be tollerated that the companies behind the
incubated project use the apache name for marketing promotion without
indicating the incubation status of the project.

Now, I see one potential big risk: idea ownership.

Meritocracy is developed if there is openness to alternative thinking,
otherwise, it becomes oligarcy and it doesn't evolve. darwinistically
speaking, it simply dies out of lack of genetical mutation and
adaptability to the environment is too low.

I suggest the mentors to tune their community-dynamics sensors to this.

To the XMLBeans developers, expecially to the main architects, my
suggestion is different: allow diversity of opinion, allow people to
experiment, allow paths that you don't like to be tried out. You will
find out that the real value of open development is exactly this:
learning new things and understanding that, no matter how smart you are,
there is always somebody smarter than you. If you allow him/her in, they
will be part of your team, if not, they will be outside, probably
harming your community by removing energy from it.

being attached to your design ideas is more harmful that it seems and
not only because the foundation might cancel incubation and stop
development because of it, but also because it prevents you from
learning and growing, as developers and, more important, human beings.

Having said this, you get my +1

--
Stefano.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Dear committers,
>
> as outlined in the xml.apache.org charter (section 6.2), and in
> collaboration with the Incubator
> (http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/STATUS?rev=HEAD)
>
> Subject to:
>
> - relicensing of the XMLBeans codebase using the ASL 1.1 license
> (http://xml.apache.org/LICENSE)
> - copyright transfer from BEA to the ASF as described in
> http://incubator.apache.org/process.html [1]
> - each initial XMLBeans committer sending in a Contributor's License
> Agreement
> (http://incubator.apache.org/forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.pdf)
> - furthermore, I would strongly suggest the XMLBeans code should only
> be moved into Apache CVS once the outstanding LGPL & BEA-licensed code
> dependency issues have been resolved.
>
> Please cast your vote on the acceptance of the XMLBeans project for
> incubation in the XML.Apache project:
>
> ----------- vote ballot ----------
>
> Name: ________________
>
> [ ] I agree with and support this proposal (+1)

+1

thanks,

alek

(aslom@apache, PMC memeber of Web Services)

--
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. —Mario Andretti

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

--

Daniel Rall

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Dear committers,

<snip/>

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Dear committers,

<snip/>

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1

=====

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
> > On behalf of the other committers, I would like to ask the XML PMC to
> > consider accepting XMLBeans into the XML project.  We expect to address
> > any remaining concerns that the community has during the incubation
> > period.
>
> Dear committers,
>
> as outlined in the xml.apache.org charter (section 6.2), and in
> collaboration with the Incubator
> (http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/STATUS?rev=HEAD)

+1

- Paul